Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winnie12_gw

Streps dropping flowers

Winnie12
19 years ago

Hello there. My streps flower beautifully but the blooms fall off after about a week. Will a change in temperature cause this? I noticed all summer I did not have this problem, but now that winter is fast approaching and my home is having alot of temperature variation, blooms are just dropping off. Most annoying. Anyone else had this problem?

Comments (4)

• mwedzi
    19 years ago

Well, when I moved one of my streps to a different room, the blooms did drop off after just a few days, whereas before they stayed on the stalk and shriveled up there. The room I moved them to was warmer, so I don't know if it's caused by warmer temperatures, or by the change in environment. Or something else.

• winnjoe
    19 years ago

Hi Winnie, I have this problem too and I think it is related to when the heat comes on. Indoors can be very dry in the winter. Have you tried a source of humidity?
    Joe, Winnipeg

• scryn
    19 years ago

Many streptocarpus do not have sticktite blooms, which are mostly seen on african violets. This means that after a short amount of time (say about a week to 2 weeks) the blooms will fall off the bloom stalk. If you move the plant when watering this often makes the bloom fall off a bit earlier also.
    If the blooms are falling off, but don't look brown or shriveled then in most case this is just due to the nature of the plant. If the blooms don't look "right" then something else could be causing them to drop.
    -renee

• jon_d
    19 years ago

The time for which a gesneriad flower will last can really vary with the same cultivar depending on unknowns of culture. I would say that in good light and cool conditions with some humidity, the flowers will last the longest. Factors which might cut the length that a flower lasts could include, being moved to low light, a dry heat blowing on the plant, wilting or losing roots, gas in the air (??). But, I don't know what factors really contribute to this. Its all guess work. I can't remember ever timing the length of time a flower will last but I suspect that a flower could survive for three weeks if everything is just right.

Yesterday, at our meeting, a fairly new member, discussed some plants he brought in for show and tell. He is an engineer, and has been making all sorts of measurements and records of dates, etc. He is really learning about his plants by doing this. He has just started growing a few achimenes, and he reported that the flowers lasted 3 weeks. He also noticed that the flowers continue to grow for a few days after they open. A flower that broke off after it opened did not continue to grow but he kept it going in a small vase (a film canister) for a month.

Jon

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner