Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growhappy

New Gessies!

GrowHappy
18 years ago

I received a small shipment of plants from Lyndon Lyon today. I received generous sized starts of Nematanthus 'Santa Teresa', Nematanthus 'Ubatuba', and Columnea 'Early Bird'(well, this one is kind of small). I wondered if anyone here has grown either the Santa Teresa or Ubatuba and could offer me some growing advice?

I'm very excited here about expanding my Gesneriad collection. Next on the list is this gorgeous sport called Columnea(I think) 'Frosty Hills', sold by Kartuz GH. I guess I'll wait until Spring to get that because it's getting quite cold now!

TIA for any growing advice on these two(or even Early Bird).

GH

Comments (2)

• dma1979
    18 years ago

Nematanthus are epiphytes and grow easily in natural light in east windows or under fluorescent lights at the edge of the plant stand. N. sp."Santa Theresa" is a species whose name is temporary, thus the quotes. Nematanthus can be grown with several cuttings in a pot or as a single stem, as in nature. N. sp. "Santa Theresa" makes a lovely pot with multiple cuttings. All Nematanthus prefer to dry back between waterings. I use a light soil mix for all epiphytic plants, which includes the Columnea. N. "Ubatuba" is a recent introduction to cultivation and I am not familiar with it's flower.

dma

• jon_d
    18 years ago

Hi, I've grown all of these. Dma's advice is all good. N. 'Santa Theresa makes a good houseplant for a bright window. The leaves are a bit sticky and the plant has an odd odor--especially when in flower. It makes huge flowers for a nematanthus--mostly white with color in the throat. I found the flowers to be short lasting; but a big plant can produce a lot of flowers. The flowers often self-pollinate and the fruit splits open when ripe, making quite a show for a few days before it falls off.

N. 'Ubatuba' is a Hans Wiehler hybrid from the 80's. I've been growing it since sometime around 1990, mol, when it was introduced from the now defunct GRF. It is a big grower but with pinching makes a beautiful foliage plant with dark maroon flowers than hang down. Its named for a city in Brazil, like several of Hans' other hybrids, 'Sorocaba', 'Petropolis', and 'Sao Paulo'. I suspect that either 'Stoplight' or fritchii is one of the parents. It may also have maculatus in it, as that species was one Hans used in his hybridizing. All of these have colorful patches on the leaf backsides.

C. 'Early Bird' is a Lyndon Lyon hybrid from the 70's. It probably is the most popular columnea grown today. It is a compact grower with beautiful cascading foliage and red/yellow flowers. It is a good windowsill plant and is often grown under lights.

C. 'Frosty Hills' is a slow grower but has beautiful succulent variegated leaves. I think it is the most beautiful of the variegates. Without Kartuz keeping it in cultivation it probably would have disappeared. I haven't seen it on any other list. Its a good choice.

Jon