Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyj_gw

When to repot a strep to a large pot?

judyj
9 years ago

This isn't about freshening the soil, which I do regularly but about how I would know when to go from a 3.5 inch azalea pot to a 4 or 5 inch one. There don't seem to be any references to leaf size (like there are with AVs). The only thing I've read is that we want to keep them slightly pot bound. Does this mean waiting until the roots are coming out of the bottom of the pot?

Also, is five inches about the maximum before I have to divide the plant?

Thanks for any insight!

Best,
Judy

Comments (5)

• perle_de_or
    9 years ago

For me they like to be potted up. I recently divided one that was in a six inch pot and had gotten really pot bound, and then put the two sections into four inch pots each. Streps grow really rapidly. I have found that when they need to be potted up they are totally pot bound and its hard to keep them watered when they are like that. They also seem to like their crowns slightly higher than the level of the mix. I use the same mix as I use for my AVs.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Judy,
    How big do they get overall? My maximum AVs in 6" pots are about 12". However, they drape down and are round
    so they don't take up to much space. Do the streps grow sticking out straight? When you say 5" do you refer to the pot size or the diameter of the strep? (Clueless about streps but trying to learn more!) I am planning on ordering from the same place I order my AVs, so I hope that the culture and the size is about the same. Joanne

• judyj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Joanne,
    They range in size like AVs, though none so tiny as the real minis.
    I've got one, a hybrid from Dave Thomson, called "Elfin Etchings" that's not supposed to get more than 7 inches fully grown. Others can get large-you can see some on the web.
    However, I'll try to post some pictures for you tomorrow to show you the size variations (types and ages) so you get a better idea.

The thing with the leaves though-unlike AVs, you can trim them down, without causing any distress. For example, I had one that had a couple 12-inch leaves, which I cut down to about 1/3 of that size. This was a pretty young one and I didn't have room for those leaves in our mini greenhouse (usually once they're in 3 inch pots or so, they're blooming nicely and come out to somewhere else in the house).

As for sticking up, some do, but most of mine curve gently down outside the pot. You'll see in the pix I post tomorrow.

By the way, I did end up repotting three or four of them into four inch pots, and they're quite happy. I've just ordered some 5 inch pots off eBay for later on. That's about the max pot size they'll need I'm guessing. After that they'll probably need to be divided. Also-for your info-I pot them exactly the way I pot AVs- including the same soil mix.

Best,
    Judy

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update!

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!