Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohleria Rhizomes

Posted by AuntieCelene 5b OH (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 14, 04 at 22:58

I just got some Kohleria rhizomes...any good suggestions on how to plant them? How deep? Regular Episcia/AV type mix?

I have:
Pele
Bach
Frances B
bogotensis
Carnival
Emily Roberts
Brimstone
Flashdance
amabilis
Rongo
Punch

Any advice? Should I use an antifungal when I plant?

Thanks,

Celene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohleria Rhizomes

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 15, 04 at 17:00

Wow, what a haul!

You can grow them in regular AV soil. I use my regular houseplant mix which is 3 parts Canadian sphagnum peatmoss, two parts perlite and one part vermiculite. Most use a basic 1-1-1 mix or these and some just eliminate the vermiculite. But a store bought AV mix is fine. They are quite tough. Plant the rhizomes horizontally about an inch under the soil. You can pot them with the pots only about 2/3 full, and then put the rhizome in shallowly so that later on you can add soil around the stem. Keep the pots moist and they should sprout. Grow them indoors in a bright windowsill or under lights. About your plants: (OK, I'm showing off (again))

Pele: grows tall, very vigorous, Patrick once harvested a single rhizome that circled around the pot many times--3'long. Flowers finely spotted with mix of purple, yellow, looking like lava.

Bach: ? I think it also has very fine spotting, grows medium high

Frances B: An oldie with nice spotted smallish flowers, red spots over creamy white I think.

bogotensis: a choice one with wonderful foliage, gray with a herringbone pattern. Spotted flowers with two background colors, yellow on upper petals and red on lower petals. Can get tall but usually medium high.

Carnival: An old Kartuz hybrid. My plant doesn't fit description but it is supposed to have medium to large spotted red flowers. Gets good comments in discussions.

Emily Roberts: Like Bach, a Roberts' hybrid with fine spotting and medium to compact habit.

Brimstone: A Boggan hybrid of bogotensis with very nice foliage and somewhat small flowers

Flashdance: I have this one though it isn't common and we don't know how it originated. It is another medium sized spotted flower on a medium to tall plant. It may have originated with Tim Anderson in Florida.

amabilis: The choicest species to grow. Stays small and can be difficult. Give it extra humidity and keep it evenly moist. Nice spotted red-lavender large flat flowers. It has green and brown patterned foliage.

Rongo, an old hybrid that was very popular in its day. Nice flowers on a vigorous plant that gets medium tall.

Punch: A smaller grower that spreads horizontally with nice medium to small flowers red spotted over white. Boggan hybrid.

Jon ;)

o

Thank you SOOOO much! Jon, you're the poohbah of gesneriad information!

I'm off to plant some Kohlerias, and episcia stolons, yesterday and today was certainly a grand haul. DH will be building another light stand this weekend, to accomodate my ever-expanding addiction. Such an enabler ;)

Celene

o

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 16, 04 at 17:00

Of course, when it comes to kohlerias the expert is John B. He wrote the AGGS kohleria register and has made some very nice hybrids, with even better ones coming. I've made a few hybrids myself and now have a couple that I am going to intoduce, but, I tend to be a more esoteric hybridizer, creating oddballs and monsters. Hopefully I will have one or two to show next summer at the AGGS convention in Portland (toes crossed).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here