Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Terrarium Gesneriad Recommendations?

Posted by littlebrownfrogs (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 26, 10 at 22:59

I really love this group of plants, and use them in my tropical terrariums when I find varieties that like those conditions (Episcias, some AVs, Sinningia 'Rio des Pedras', etc). I've seen pics of various plants at shows kept in bubbles - which I imagine would thrive in the humidity I've got in my tanks - but I don't know many. What would you guys recommend as next for me to try?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Terrarium Gesneriad Recommendations?

Pearcea hypocyrtiflora - really festive leaves and glow-in-the dark pouchy flowers, Gesneria cunefolia - miniscule shrub with bright orange tubular flowers, I think ypu can try Nautilocalyx - pemphidius is definitely a terrarium plant - but you can try N. forgettii with beau7tifully patterned leaves. Dep[ending on the temperature of your terrarium - if it is on a cool side - Petrocosmeas will be happy. Diastema vexans is kinda weedy - but sure has interesting chimera like blossom. After seeing Gasteranthus atratus on a couple of shows - if you have space - this is a one stately plant with dark almost black crinkly eaves and yellow bell flowers - but it is an ultimate terrarium plant - you do not expose it to the outside air for more than 1 minute. Amalophyllon an Phinea are small plants used to shady and humid conditions.

Good Luck

Irina

o
RE: Terrarium Gesneriad Recommendations?

Episcias like it warm and humid as well. Some Columneas will do well in a Terrarium. Chirita micromusa, a small annual with nice leaves and yellow flowers.

I have Chrysothemis friedrichsthaliana growing like a weed in a terrarium. Sinningia pusilla, Sinningia "Rio Das Pedras", Sinningia coccinea and all the micro-mini Sinns should do great.

The list goes on and on...

Happy growing!

Olaf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here