Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raindrop_ar

Nematanthus Problem

raindrop_ar
19 years ago

I have a good start of Nematanthus that has been thriving since August and is planted in a small solo cup. When checking to see if it needed water the other day, I discovered it has mold on the top layer of the soil. What can be done to get rid of this. The mixture it is planted in is the same light mixture used for African Violets. Not the packaged type. It was given to me by a lady that has grown African Violets, and Nematanthus for several years, and she potted it up for me with her mixture. I would hate to lose this plant. Can I just scoop off the top layer of soil? And will the mold go away? I had one before, and loved the little orange flowers. Help!!!

Comments (3)

• larry_b
    19 years ago

Hello Raindrop,

First of all, welcome to the forum. It is always nice to have another participant.

The mold on your soil will not hurt your plants. Mold on the soil is usually caused by not letting the plant dry out between waterings. Some people say to scrape the mold off and put some fresh soil on top of the soil. I've never found that to work well. Jon_d, the resident gesnariad expert, has a solution that he has given quite a number of times on this forum. That is to get yourself some Tinactin spray power. Yes, the athlete's foot fungicide. Spray the top of the soil and it gets rid of the mold really well. I have used it myself several times and it works like a charm.

Larry

• jon_d
    19 years ago

Yup, just a light spritz. The last time I bought this stuff it was for my plants. I rarely need it and it has lasted for years. That mold is often associated with mixes that contain composted wood or compost--like most packaged potting soils. But, I have had mold form on moist peatmoss (that was stored in a closed container) too. I'm sure the mix that she uses is fine. This just happens sometimes. When your plant gets tall enough you can take a small tip cutting, which should root in water or in potting mix. Then root more cuttings and finally pot them all together to make a nice full pot.

Jon

• raindrop_ar
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well I took a leap of faith here, the little feet of my Nematanthus plants have been misted with Tinactin spray, felt kinda weird doing this since I couldn't smell a dirty foot around anywhere!!!

Gotta trust the experts here! I know I didn't have a clue how to get rid of the unslightly mold, and was afraid it would kill my plants.

Now, looking forward to the candy corn blooms. I believe I will start giving it a little hair-cut, and start taking the tips to increase the size. They are about 6 to 8 inches tall now. Will keep a watch on it and let you all know if it improves. Thanks for all of your help!

Raindrop