Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chrysothemis pulchella.

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 28, 09 at 4:36

Hi
have grown this plant for several years with no problems in pots It does go winter dormant for me which leads to my ??
The box stores are now pushing this as "florida friendly landscape plant" While mine are fast asleep the ones for sale are in full glorious flower lol. How do they do that?? My only complaint about it as a landscape plant is the dormancy but there seems to be a way to avoid that?? Thanks gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chrysothemis pulchella.

Gary -

you need to find some Florida gesneriad buddies - look at the gesneriadsociety.org chapters - and call them.
My Chrysothemis is on a light shelf in a basement - and just keeps blooming - doesn't go to a dormancy for a year - may be the ones for sale are from greenhouses with overhead lights?

Irina

o

Hi
I knew it !!! The secret is going to require some work on my part lol. I'm redoing my whole grow area and was only keeping evergreens so I can have a year around garden rather than winter .summer. mainly to reduce the work.
I thought the Chrys was among the summer flowers from my experience until I saw them for sale lol.
They were from "Costa color" a huge nursery that supplies most of the box stores locally.
Have never visited but since they produce in excess of 200,000 plants per month I'll bet they're not using many lights?? lol
Oh well more experimenting ,I guess, was hoping there was an easy trick to keep them evergreen. They are a wonderful summer flower. Thanks very much gary

o

Gary, they could be starting them all from cuttings or seeds at a certain time, then just keeping them growing to control the bloom time. Mine always looked better after a short dormancy anyway.

o

Hi
have learned already that it's temp related . We've been having a "heat wave" believe it or not and all have resprouted .lol The wave will continue for at least a week so will see what happens?? I'm guessing it's triggered by temps under 50??
Wild winter so far two record lows in OCT. 5 highs in Nov. and 4 in Dec already
I know in my heart this means Jan and Feb will set all time record lows maybe even some SNOW lol
Oh well i guess "experimenting " is what gardening is all about?? gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here