Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahm2jordan

Need advice for shipping episcias in trade

sahm2Jordan
19 years ago

Hi! I'm setting up a trade and the lady had an episcia. She also says she has a small plantlet she could send but would be unrooted. I have asked the size of the plantlet.

Can someone tell me what the best way to go on this is? Should the plantlet be wrapped in damp paper towel or just placed in a baggie in a styrofoam cup? Do you put down leaves of episcia? I don't have a one and would really enjoy recieving this one. And want to be sure it arrives safe and sound. Thanks a bunch to anyone who can help!

Michelle

Comments (3)

• komi
    19 years ago

I haven't done many stolon trades, but here is what has worked so far.

The best method seems to be:
    - cut the stolon (the "plantlet") as long as possible so you can trim it back when it arrives. This is easier on the episcias that throw long runners, but not all do.
    - wrap loosely in damp long fibre sphagnum, which has had as much water squeezed out of it as possible (wrap in kitchen paper and squeeze)
    - place in a ziploc bag and puff up, OR in a styrocup.

If long fibre sphagnum is not an option, then I guess a damp bit of paper around the cut is probably okay. You do not want the leaves to be wet in transit or you risk rot, especially during the colder months.

I think once I shipped small stolons (1-1.5" diameter total) combining the two above - a bit of slightly damp paper secured with foil, in a baggie filled with barely moist sphagnum - and they made a 14-day trip intact.

• AuntieCelene
    19 years ago

I use just moistened paper towels covered with foil over the tips of the stolons, which I also cut long, and the whole thing enclosed in a ziploc baggie with air blown in.

HTH,

Celene

• jon_d
    19 years ago

I've carried episcia cuttings without any moisture, moss or anything in ziplock baggies for several days without a problem. If they go too long they dry out a bit but revive when placed in water before planting.

If you wrap the base of the cutting or stolon with moist moss or paper towel it is important to then wrap that with foil. Otherwise the rest of the cutting will stay moist and possibly rot.

Once I received an episcia that had been sent with a bunch of NZ moss, which is the best type of moss to use, but it was not wrapped in foil. The rooted cutting went from Germany to Sweden, and then brought to the AGGS convention and given to me--about five days in transit. When I got it, the poor cutting was in really bad shape. All the leaves rotted and fell off, but the stem and most importantly, the growth tip were OK. So, at the convention I potted up the little piece of stem and put the cutting in its bag on the window sill. I was at the convention for about six days and by the time I got home, it was making tiny new leaves. It made it and now I am still growing this one.

Jon