Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threas

Streptocarpus Leaves

threas
14 years ago

I have started 10 different varieties of leaves about 2 wks. ago. I put the little plastic cups in ziplock baggies under fluorescent lights. I open the baggies every day or two to let in fresh air. I noticed the medium is pretty dry to the touch, but there is alot of condensation in the plastic. Should I leave it alone or spritz with water? I also noticed some of the leaf pieces are wilting. What should I do for them? Thank you for your help.

Theresa

Comments (6)

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Theresa -

what I will do:

1. get the transparent box - like a plastic show box, storage box...go to to Target and get one with transparent lid.

2. I use pieces of fleece material, you can just get several layers of paper towel, wet it and put on the bottom.

2. Deposit there all your leaves in their plastic cups, be sure that all have names on cups.

3. Spray all your leaves with warm water - the idea is to have all your soil barely moist. Water spray will help the leaves to unwilt. The stubborn wilted ones - tear a piece of a paper towel, soak it with water, put it on the wilted leaf for a couple of hours.

4. Close the lid tightly, put it somewhere where it gets some light, but not direct sunlight - and forget about it.

The box is big enough - so even there is condensation - it won't damage the leaves. If the lid is tight - it will keep high humidity without soaking the soil.

When you see the mouse ears - yu can start cracking the lid.

For me - is the only way how I do not lose practically any leaves.

Good Luck - hope you will get them blooming in 5 months.

Irina

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Irina! When you say to get a paper towel for wilted leaf, should I just stick it on the leaf in the soil/perlite mix?

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Theresa -

what i mean is to rehydrate the leaf - just put a wet towel piece directly on the leaf - and remove it several hours later. The leaf can absorb water through the surface. You do not need to remove the leaf from the mix.

if you are going to plant a new leaf into the soil mix -
    and leaf is kinda wilty - you can soak a leaf in a tepid water with a pinch of sugar - if will rehydrate - then you'll recut it and stick it in your mix. But since your leaves are already in a soil - you can use the towel trick.

Hope it helps.

I.

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Irina! That's what I thought you meant. I noticed that the two pieces wilting were the tops of the leaves. I'll see what happens. Can't wait to see babies!

Theresa

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's some pix of my streptocarpus & african violet leaves. So far so good.

{{gwi:480866}}

Here's my indoor GH hubby made. Don't mind all the junk on the bottom. I'm still trying to organize all my stuff!LOL

Theresa
    {{gwi:113723}}

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Theresa -

what will your DH say when your plant amount hits 1500? Looks like it is coming!

When my cat managed to drop 3 trays 2 days ago - my hubby actually approved ;-00

Irina

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County