Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tubers that refuse to go dormant

Posted by eric_oh 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 9:33

I have some large Sinningia (non-florist-type) tubers that were growing in the garden. I dug them just before frost, removed the top growth and put the tubers in storage in plastic bags in virtually dry soilless medium. Some of them (especially S. sellovii) have put out new sprouts, but I don't want to pot them up - I prefer they go dormant.

Is it permissible to remove the sprouts, or will this discourage the tuber enough to prevent later growth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tubers that refuse to go dormant

Eric -

the expert on Sinningias growing outside is Alan LaVerne. There is a contact on his site.

I am thinking that you should have them left in an open and dried more before putting in the baggies.
You probably can remove new growth and dry the tubers some more - but if they keep coming - you can eventually waste the tubers...

I am thinking that they do not fall asleep in the nature because of winter - they fall asleep because of the dry season - so if there is enough moisture in the tubers - they will sprout.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Alan LaVerne site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here