Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus2015

Streptocarpus: I need Help!

maximus2015
19 years ago

Hello,

I am growing new Streptocarpus, they are all in plastic deli-cups. My question is how large do Streps need to be before they bloom??

P Alan

New Jersey

Comments (7)

• AuntieCelene
    19 years ago

I am going to offer an exceptionally un-helpful answer: It depends on the stature of the plant in general. I have plants that have been in a 4" pot for a couple years, and bloom like gangbusters, but aren't more than 12" high, and others nearly twice that big. I do think they like to be a little potbound to bloom, though.

HTH,

Celene

• jon_d
    19 years ago

At our chapter meeting today, a new member brought in some streps he rooted from leaves in June. They had leaves about four inches long and had their first flowers. They were not minis but were typical of the varieties we see today. I think they were 'Magentosphere', a speckled netted purple.

• maureen_ottawa
    19 years ago

Patrick,

It depends on the variety. The crown generally needs to grow to a certain size before blooming. And as mentioned, they like to be potbound.

• scryn
    19 years ago

I have found that they bloom much quicker if you remove the immature leaves on the plant. Once I left the leaf there for a long time and the plant never seemed to bloom. The sooner I remove them, the faster they bloom. This may be because the immature leaf does not make blooms and when you remove it more energy goes to growing leaves that do have the ability to bloom. Now I remove the immature leaves as soon as possable.
    -renee

• maureen_ottawa
    19 years ago

Renee,

I forgot about that. I usually clip one of the leaves of the first crown when it gets more than four inches long. This stimulates the growth of a new crown which is more likely to bloom.

But I do find that I get blooms on the first crown, but haven't noticed why some do and some don't.

• robitaillenancy1
    19 years ago

I have a few plants with two 4 inch leaves with its first bloom.

I think it depends on:
    1. The season: everything blooms in spring and seems to decline in the fall.
    2. Your culture, humidity, fertilizer or not, other aspects of culture.
    3. Variety. Some bloom more frequently and stay longer than others.
    4. Good luck.

Nancy

• mwedzi
    19 years ago

I agree with Nancy on all accounts. It depends on all of those things. I just got some lovely little starts, one of them is Museum of Art which I am very eager to see bloom. It's longest leaf is just about 3 inches, but it already has a bud. Most of the ones I have gotten have been in bud when I received them. They came from warm, well-lit, highly humid environments where they were well-fertilized, so even though they were quite small, they were ready to bloom.