Houzz Logo Print
gardenpaw

Sinningia Tubiflora

gardenpaw
18 years ago

Hi,

I just purchased a Sinningia Tubiflora a few weeks ago and

was wondering what kind of care they like over winter,

Moist soil/dry soil/grow lights or window light?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Karen/gardenpaw

Comments (7)

• dma1979
    18 years ago

Karen, my question is, where are you over wintering this species? If in the house, dormant S. tubiflora can be treated the same as other dormant tubers - keep moist in a warm place with some light until it sprouts new growth. If it is to be kept outside, it depends whether it is in a pot or in the ground and on the winter temperatures . Either way, some muching is a good idea in a place where it will not get a lot of moisture - otherwise it will rot. S. tubiflora is one of the species which can tolerate cooler temperatures than can others.

Marilyn

• gardenpaw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Marilyn,
    Thank you for answering my post.
    It will be in the house, I have it in a sunny window.
    Thanks so much for your information.
    Karen/gardenpaw

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

It's totally hardy here, so I grow it outside, and while we don't get as much rain as we used to we get a lot, and it doesn't mind at all and seems to spread rather well. If you're growing it inside all year, you need to be aware that this is a plant that wants full sun outdoors down here in south Louisiana where the sun is very intense. Some folks recommend putting it out where it gets baked. Without a LOT of sun it won't bloom, and those WONderfully fragrant long white tubular flowers are worth giving it what it wants.

• jon_d
    18 years ago

Growing tubiflora in winter indoors really depends on whether it is has foliage or is dormant. Last week a member of the PGS chapter brought in a newly purchased plant that had two small sprouts. We suggested he grow it in as bright a window as he could. A wintertime growth like his probably won't grow to flower but it will build up the tuber for its next go-round. Tubiflora tends to be difficult for me to flower but others find it much more reliable. Ben Paternoster's plant a few years ago that won Best In Show was the best specimen I have ever seen. A photo of it can be found on the AGGS site. I grow my plant outdoors, where it needs sun, fertilizer and consistant watering. I did get several spikes last summer, but also many more growths that did not set buds. It makes offset tubers like a potato, so can quickly fill a large pot with offsets, making it easy to propagate. If only it were edible...

A couple of years ago I saw a clump in the large mostly perennials garden of a gardener up in Sacramento. It baked in hot dry summer conditions and bloomed well. She didn't know what it was, but it flowered well as a tuberous perennial. Up there the winters rarely go below 25 but can dip down to the low teens. I found that exposed tubers will freeze if the go below about 30 degrees. This species natural has its tubers below ground, but they will bump up above the soil line when the pot fills with tubers.

Jon

• gardenpaw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Marilyn, Greenelbows1 and JonD,
    Thank you all so much for your information.
    The Sinningia Tubiflora I bought from Lauray of Salisbury
    it is in a small pot and did have some leaves when I got it
    but they have since died back.
    I live in zone 5/6 Indiana and the winters here get cold
    that is the reason why I will need to overwinter in the
    house, as soon as the weather warms I will put it outside
    in strong sunshine, sure would love to see it bloom, it
    looks so pretty in the pictures I`ve seen and the fragrance
    is a Big plus.
    I have it in a sunny west facing window for the winter.
    Thank you all again, you have been a big help.
    Karen/gardenpaw

• jon_d
    18 years ago

Just don't be too disappointed if it doesn't bloom in your first year. It is worth growing for the day when it does. On the plus side, however, I have seen small plants with just one growth, send up a flowering shoot, and when it flowers it is very special. Flowers are intensely fragrant and long lasting--up to three weeks per flower. Plus, with their long tube, they are elegant (they didn't name it "tubiflora" for nuttin).

Jon

• gardenpaw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Jon,
    I guess I wont be to dissapointed if I dont see a bloom but
    I am keeping my fingers crossed, :).
    There is another plant that kind of reminds me of the
    Tubiflora bloom, a friend that lives down south told me
    about and it is the Mirabilis Longiflora
    Sweet Four O`Clock, so I ordered seeds for them as well.
    They have the same kind of elegant long tube flowers and
    are fragrant at night, not the usual Four O`Clocks and are
    kind of hard to find, if anyone is interested let me know
    and I can give you the info where to purchase them.
    Karen