Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fiestabrad

Episcias with dry leaves.....

fiestabrad
19 years ago

Hello. I have several varieties of Episcias. Some of them do GREAT!!! But, I have at least two or three that I cant grow. Those varieties are Chocolate Cream, Costa Rica, and Coco. The leaves on those, get crispy and dry up, no matter what I do. My humidity level is at 65% most all the time. Higher in summer. Any ideas? Eventually, I can get a stolen to grow again before the main plant dies, but soon after the same thing happens.

Comments (3)

• jon_d
    19 years ago

Hmm. That sounds odd since your humidity is so high, and the varieties you mention shouldn't be that exceptional. I have never grown 'Coco' but have or have had the other two. Of them, 'Costa Rica' is the only one that would be sensitive to low humidity--it is a form of lilacina. It likes high hhumidity and a warm growing environment (which basically means indoor condiditons that are not on the cool side). I have 'Chocolate Cream' going strong right now, having brought it back from a neglected period. One thing you can always do to revive an episcia, assuming it isn't infected with a pest, is to enclose it in a plastic bag or terrarium. High humidity of an enclosure will do wonders for ailing episcias. I like to grow my starts under a clear dome that fits over my 10/20 trays (approx. 10" x 20"--a standard rectangular nursery tray). Try rooting them in a very light and airy mix, such as perlite and peatmoss. Keep them evenly moist and make new starts frequently. I think that you will find one that will take off on each of them.

Jon

• komi
    19 years ago

That's interesting. Which ones are doing well for you?

For a while, I had the worst time with the brown/bronze leaved varieties. I went through the same awful cycle as you are having with Kee Wee. I don't think the original plant I received was in good shape, and the soil mix did not work for me. After several rounds of re-rooting, I changed the mix to one that is even lighter (even more perlite and more vermiculite) and increased the light. They get less light than the dark pink Strawberry Patch and the light pink ones like Cleopatra, but more than the medium green and green/bronze varieties. Now they are doing very well. My humidity has been hovering at 30% for a few weeks now as I have been too lazy to set up the humidifiers, but they are not affected.

At the worst stage, I had only a tiny stolon of Kee Wee about 1/2" in diameter. Who knows why that one survived and grew the best.

The one I still have the most difficulty with is lilacina. It was happiest during 3 weeks in very early fall, so I am going to try to mimick those conditions. (The current humidity levels are about to kill them - need to get them under the dome.) It's time to root some more stolons too....

• scryn
    19 years ago

episcia are very very sensitive to cold and drafts. I can not keep them alive in the winter. They drop nearly all their leaves and then I cut off a stolan and grow a new one for spring.
    Could it be possable that the temperature has started to dropp when you started to see the brown leaves? This may be the problem.

-renee

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals