Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am hooked now!!

Posted by Perle_de_Or Zone 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 13:34

All, just got my first streps in the mail. I got them from Neils Streps on eBay, sellers choice deal. The ones they sent me are Neils Jennifer, Neils Mindy Lou, Neils Freckles. I am so excited. Total newbie with them so I hope I don't kill them. There were in great condition and packaged really well too. They even had wicks. Does anyone grow these particular plants? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am hooked now!!

Best of Luck! I've been having a terrible time getting mine to flourish! I think I've come to the conclusion they need to be repotted more often than your average AV.

o

Don't wick them and only water when dry. They are different than AVs in that way. Also when you repot they need more perlite than AVs. That's all I know. They are supposed to be easy but they don't do well for me. Search out davioletman on here. He grows them and has good info.

o

Thanks for the tips. I had been doing some reading up on them and realized they need to be a little dryer than AVs. I will look up davioletman too.

o

Perle, are you planning on growing under lights or natural light? I personally grow under lights but have done both.

There are many factors and everybody's growing conditions are different. As aviolet6 has said you will have to experiment a little to find what works for you.

It would take to long to go over everything here but if would like more info feel free to email me at czdallasfan @ yahoo.com with any questions you have. I will be more than happy to answer any and give you tips.

Aviolet6 email me as to what is going on with yours, maybe I can get you on the right path.

Perle, is you do a search on the site on streps I am pretty sure you will be able to find what I have written in the past on Streps. This can be a reference for you as well.

Dave

o

Thanks so much Dave. I am growing them in natural light with a little supplementing under a grow light since the days are short. I am learning, so watching them very closely. I am taking everyone's advice and letting them get a little dry before I water. I did do a search on your user name and read a bunch of great info and also clipped some of them to my page. When they get a little bigger I hope to propagate some leaves. Right now I have about 25 varieties of AV leaves put down, so I really enjoy experimenting with leaves and look forward to trying the strep leaves too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here