Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Streptocarpus and Oyama Pot Question

Posted by Genie222 WV (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 13:49

Hi All,

I am attaching a photo of my Wendy's Niagara Falls. It was purchased several months ago at the Ohio State AV Show.
It is still in the wicked pot in which it was purchased. The plant has bloomed beautifully until the past week. I have been watering with a bloom-boosting fertilizer I obtained from Cape Cod Violetry.

I want to transplant it into a pot that will be more suited to it's size. What size Oyama Pot should I purchase? I think the current pot is about 3-1/2 inches.

Thanks for any advice,

'Genie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Streptocarpus and Oyama Pot Question

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 18:19

It *might* be ready for a 5 inch pot...that's probably the ultimate size I'd want to maintain it at. Too much moisture on the root ball causes rot.
I've found it's better to divide and repot smaller than to go bigger (least for me).

o
RE: Streptocarpus and Oyama Pot Question

Aha - 5" is probably just right. Do not forget to add extra perlite in a soil mix - and let it dry between the waterings. The tips of the leaves can be trimmed by scissors - or pinking shears - Fiskars Deckle - is perfect to trim the leaves so they look natural.

i.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here