Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeremy39

First post, Streps in bloom

jeremy39
10 years ago

Some of my babys are blooming for the first time. Just wanted to share. This is my first post. yea

Comments (13)

• irina_co
    10 years ago

What a wonderful way to start posting! With a Gorgeous Baby Strep!

• jeremy39
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks irina.
    I'm trying to figure out how to post multiple pictures at once on this forum

• jeremy39
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    10 years ago

Wow! That one is a stunner!

• jeremy39
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yet another

• jeremy39
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one more

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    10 years ago

Wow! Those are all so beautiful. I so admire you guys and all your beautiful flowers!! What a great talent! Thank you for posting those pictures.

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

Love your streps! I also wish I knew how to post more than one photo in a post.

• e-w-031
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting! Beautiful plants. I hope I can do as well as you are with my new streps.

• Linda Watson
    10 years ago

Jeremy,

Tell me more - size of bloom, name,etc. Later in the year Might be interested in a trade,

thanks

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Your red and yellow baby looks quite close to Streptocarpus "Wow",
    White with red stripes is a bit different - but there are also some variations of it already present. The last purple one is again close enough to the old Weismoor blue hybrid.

So - from the point of of view of something new to name... I would say that we are getting to the same point AV arrived some time ago. Crosses produce plants that are close to the named plants - and probably shouldn't be named.
    Keep an eye on the site "streptocarpus-info.com" and do your comparisons.

It is not surprising that "Wow" popped up - you start with a Polish strep as parent - you will get something that reminds one of Pyotr Kleszczynski hybrids.

I just read that Streps that have "Sylvia" in parentage - and carry the wavy edge character of the petal - are called sylvans.

Anyway - my thought is - your hybrids are beautiful - but not that unique. You need to try to use not so overused parents to create your own Jeremy's plants.

Good Luck - and hope to see new J-hybrids soon.
    My apologies for criticizing your beauties.

irina

• jeremy39
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irina....I didnt cross these plants i just purchased hybrid seeds. However, the first and second picture I posted are named streps.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Jeremy, the adoptive papa -

my apologies. When you said my babies - I thought - you actually crossed them, not started from somebody else seeds. As usually - raising babies is work, making them - is fun.

It is not that hard to cross streps - and the seeds are ready in a short time, not like AVs - 4-9 months after pollinating.

Hopefully next generation of strep babies will be truly yours.

I am still in opinion that naming of the streps should be done only if they are showing some different and desirable treats, not a close copy of something already named. So if in your batch grown form seeds you discover something outstanding - it is your responsibility to share it. Regarding naming and registration - if the hybrid seeds came from a person you can get in touch with - would be nice to check it with him - usually this person will be happy to have one of his crosses named. You can register the plant - Gesneriad Society registers new hybrids and publishes description and photo in a Gesneriad Magazine.
    In this case - you will be the registrant, not the hybridizer, but you can register with the name of your choice.
    If you need more info - email me directly.
    Irina , the G-society Registrar.

Irina