Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First post, Streps in bloom

Posted by jeremy39 none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 14:13

Some of my babys are blooming for the first time. Just wanted to share. This is my first post. yea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First post, Streps in bloom

What a wonderful way to start posting! With a Gorgeous Baby Strep!

o

thanks irina.
I'm trying to figure out how to post multiple pictures at once on this forum

o

Another

o

Wow! That one is a stunner!

o

yet another

o

one more

o

Wow! Those are all so beautiful. I so admire you guys and all your beautiful flowers!! What a great talent! Thank you for posting those pictures.

o

Love your streps! I also wish I knew how to post more than one photo in a post.

o

Thanks for posting! Beautiful plants. I hope I can do as well as you are with my new streps.

o

Jeremy,

Tell me more - size of bloom, name,etc. Later in the year Might be interested in a trade,

thanks

Linda

o

Your red and yellow baby looks quite close to Streptocarpus "Wow",
White with red stripes is a bit different - but there are also some variations of it already present. The last purple one is again close enough to the old Weismoor blue hybrid.

So - from the point of of view of something new to name... I would say that we are getting to the same point AV arrived some time ago. Crosses produce plants that are close to the named plants - and probably shouldn't be named.
Keep an eye on the site "streptocarpus-info.com" and do your comparisons.

It is not surprising that "Wow" popped up - you start with a Polish strep as parent - you will get something that reminds one of Pyotr Kleszczynski hybrids.

I just read that Streps that have "Sylvia" in parentage - and carry the wavy edge character of the petal - are called sylvans.

Anyway - my thought is - your hybrids are beautiful - but not that unique. You need to try to use not so overused parents to create your own Jeremy's plants.

Good Luck - and hope to see new J-hybrids soon.
My apologies for criticizing your beauties.

irina

o

Irina....I didnt cross these plants i just purchased hybrid seeds. However, the first and second picture I posted are named streps.

o

Jeremy, the adoptive papa -

my apologies. When you said my babies - I thought - you actually crossed them, not started from somebody else seeds. As usually - raising babies is work, making them - is fun.

It is not that hard to cross streps - and the seeds are ready in a short time, not like AVs - 4-9 months after pollinating.

Hopefully next generation of strep babies will be truly yours.

I am still in opinion that naming of the streps should be done only if they are showing some different and desirable treats, not a close copy of something already named. So if in your batch grown form seeds you discover something outstanding - it is your responsibility to share it. Regarding naming and registration - if the hybrid seeds came from a person you can get in touch with - would be nice to check it with him - usually this person will be happy to have one of his crosses named. You can register the plant - Gesneriad Society registers new hybrids and publishes description and photo in a Gesneriad Magazine.
In this case - you will be the registrant, not the hybridizer, but you can register with the name of your choice.
If you need more info - email me directly.
Irina , the G-society Registrar.

Irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here