Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving Episcia after Sandy

Posted by redphal 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 14:23

My house was out of power and heat for almost two weeks after Sandy hit, and while my other tropicals and Gesneriads weathered the cold temps and darkness OK, my poor Episcias were hit hard. I have four of them and they lost most or all of their leaves. The stems are still firm and I think the heat came back before they were fatally chilled, but I'm trying to figure out if they will recover.

If I cut them back and remove all the wilted leaves, will they regrow? How hard can they be cut back and still grow? Or is it too late for them and should I just find replacements?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving Episcia after Sandy

It certainly will not hurt to try. If the stems are still firm the plant should rep sprout where the leaf joints are. If they don't over a period of time then toss them. Personally, I would not cut them back until I see growth starting. The plant has been stressed enough because of the conditions created by Sandy.

I had grown episcias in my greenhouse to night temps of 40 degrees with no ill effects. Episcias though are not cold tolerant for a long period of time. They are usually sensitive to temps 55 and under. It all depends on the variety. Some will withstand better than others.

Dave

o

Thanks. I did already cut some of them back, because those plants had lost all their leaves and looked totally shabby. Do you think a humidity dome would help them recover? Humidity levels are good in the house right now but I know they favor moisture.

o

Maybe you should start them over by taking cuttings. When mine get leggy, thats what I do. You might have a better plant faster...it will possibly take a while for your plants to recover. Humidity couldn't hurt. Good thing the rest of the plants are fairing okay.

tish

o

Sad to say that the Episcia have all gone further downhill. Doesn't look like they're going to make it after all. :-/

o

So sorry to hear that.

tish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here