Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Checklist

Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 04 at 15:09

This link was posted yesterday on the Gesneriphiles list and I found it fascinating. It is a checklist of gesneriad species that can be searched by genus, or by location. I was using this to see what gesneriads were known to be native to various countries around the world. I haven't learned so much about gesneriads in a long time. I found I was misinformed about the native location of many gesneriads. Looking at countries in asia I saw vast numbers of species that are not it cultivation. There is so much out there for us to wait for! Places like Papua New Guinea are just loaded with uncultivated gesneriads--many of them lipsticks. This is a great link, I think.

Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: gesneriad checklist (Smithsonian Botany Dept.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Checklist

Thanks Jon. I was just noticing the Chirita list!

o

Occasionally I find myself laboring under the delusion that I know something, and then something like this comes along and reminds me of how ignorant I am--which is really exciting. I started to count all the entries under 'A' I'd never even heard of, much less grown or seen, but I ran out of fingers. Now if we could just get pictures! Thanks, Jon
Nancy

o

Please note that this checklist is a rather out-of-date test version and will undergo some major updates and modifications sometime in the next few weeks.

o

Great! Look forward to it! Please post.

o

This checklist is great. I have been having a lot of fun with it. I am really looking forward to seeing it updated with more features.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here