Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Goldfish plant question

Posted by garden_gossiper z5 NH (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 05 at 20:35

This is a Gesneriad---columnea----Just got two clippings. Can I root it in water???? or will it rot??? Thanks. JanC Z5-NH

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Goldfish plant question

I think your columnea will do much better in a light soil. You can pot it and put it in a ziplock baggie out of direct sun. After it will start growing - keep taking tips off and sticking back in the same pot so you will develop a bushier plant.

African Violets do root in water, but a lot of gesneriads will rot. Another easy to grow geseriad that some people call Goldfish - Nemathantus - is very happy to root in soil - but will refuse to do it in water.

Offtopic:
Funny about these common names - - in Lowe's hardware I saw a nice annual looking plant with tubular orange flowers which was named Cornucopia and was refered as a hummigbird attraction. Why it was labeled Cornucopia - is beyond my understanding. I was able to track it by the hummingbird thing - and it is Cuphea ignea, or "cigar plant".

Good luck with your columnea, they are lovely, keep it on the eastern or western window, they like to be on a cool side to bloom - and try more than one variety. Some are practically everblooming.

Irina

o
RE: Goldfish plant question

Hello All,I live in the UK,I am looking for a supplier of the Columnea Microphylla plant-it is proving to be very elusive here in the UK,Can anyone help me in my quest?
Thankyou in advance

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here