Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first micro mini sinningias

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 5:27

Thanks to a micro-mini lover on this site, I've been able to get several s. pussila seedings going from seed planted ~6 months ago. From what I'm reading here, milled sphagnum on a bed of charcoal is a good medium choice for a mini terrarium.

Warm months here will bring fungus gnats for sure, and the seedlings have been in sealed containers, vented often, all the time. I have other projects that require semi-sterile environments, so I'll vent the terrarium by making a couple of medium-sized holes, and stuffing the holes with non-absorbent fiberfill. Comments?

If anyone would like to swap seeds or plants, lmk and we can work out a trade when the weather warms a little in March. I have leaves, some rooted, of named AV's available. Check out the swaps listed on my profile-I have non-ges available too.

--Rr in CT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first micro mini sinningias

I grow mine in a open topped glass vase on long fibered sphagnum moss with a drainage layer of large perlite. They also do well growing in a pocket of sphagnum that is tucked into a nook on the back vertical wall of a terrarium. I have S. pusilla in a non vented glass container with a lid and they do very well in there. I find that there are no problems with mildew etc even without air flow.

As long as the growing medium does not dry out they are not difficult to grow. Even if they do dry out as long as they are mature enough they will have formed tubers and they will resprout if you don't leaves them dry for too long.

Mike

o

Rr, did those seeds I sent you ever sprout for you? An update please?

Dave

o

Rr, did those seeds I sent you ever sprout for you? An update please?

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here