Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chazparas

Help with Id Please.

chazparas
16 years ago

Hi all,

I bought this plant over the summer, I thought it was a sinningia but now not sure. It's in a 6 inch pot, lots of branches and get's these pretty flowers. It stayed in partial sun outside all summer and now is in a south western window. Any Idea?

thanks in advance,

Chaz

Comments (7)

• irina_co
    16 years ago

Chaz -

have a look

I.

Here is a link that might be useful: seemania

• chazparas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Irina,
    Thank you so much! Both for the ID and the link to a wonderful website!
    Chaz

• irina_co
    16 years ago

You are very welcome.

Keep an eye on what's going on in the Gesneriad Society. Looks like you have a very green gesneriad thumb.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Gesneriad Society

• chazparas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Irina,
    I absolutely love Gesneriads. Unfortunatley the home I've moved into is just to cold for most of them. At one time in NYC I had many bloomng AV's and the mini sinningia, as well as various others, here they just don't do well. I've lost some beauties since up here in MA, all my other plants seem to do very well, except some of the orchids and gesneriads that like it a bit warmer than I can keep the house. Gotta wait till I can swing a greenhouse or conservatory! I do have a beauty of an episcia/Pink Panther that seems very happy here!
    Thanks agian,
    Chaz

• irina_co
    16 years ago

Chaz -

Streptocarpus - loves it cold. And bloomwise - it reminds the orchid blooms - big and bright.

Petrocosmeas and chiritas like it cool too, nemathantus - most of them - could care less, same with aeschynanthus.

Do not let your gesneriad talent go to waste! and if you can keep episcai alive... itr means it is not that cold.

Good growing'

Irina

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

Irina beat me to saying if you can grow an episcia (Pink Panther is one of the easier ones, but it still likes it over sixty or so) you can grow more. There are a number of hardy ones (tho' hardy is a relative term, of course!) like a lot of sinningias, your seemannia, Titanotrichum, others I can't think of. Gessies for everyone!

• chazparas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Irina, Greenelbows,
    I have the episicia in a globe terrarium, it comes into my office space at home in the winter were it stays above 60 but, AV's and Chirita did not do well in there. I have 3 streps in the plant/sun room and they really do great over the winter but struggle in the summer. Once I clear out a couple of plants that are hanging on by a thread in the sunroom I may try a couple of more Chiritas and streps. It can get into the upper 30's low 40's in there come late Jan and Feb. If I get a light system going in the basement next year I'll be back to AVs and mini sinn again.
    Thanks