Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Kohleria or Smithiantha? ID please

karyn1
13 years ago

I've had this plant for several years and still don't have a proper ID. The flowers are about 2" and the largest leaves about 5". This is also the first year that it hasn't gone dormant by this time. It's still blooming and putting out quite a bit of new growth.

{{gwi:588058}}{{gwi:588059}}{{gwi:588061}}

Comments (7)

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Karyn - you have a well grown and very floriferous plant.

it is Kohleria and probably "Strawberry Fields" by the color or "Red Ryder" (by the size). "Red Ryder leaves have a distinct patterning, "SF" - more solid color.

My Kohlerias do not go dormant-dormant. When they become ratty - I reroot the tips - they practically do not stop blooming - if you stick them into light soil and keep them under the bag for a week or 2. The soil of the old pot gets sorted - and the rhizomes are collected and put into the baggie with barely moist vermiculite. Usually in 1-2 months they put new shoots and are ready to be potted and shared with friends.

Good Colors For Christmas

irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Fields

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ID. I never thought to try rooting cuttings. When it begins looking ratty I just chop off the stems and leave the pot unwatered until spring. I divide the rhizomes every couple years.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Karyn -

looks like you miss the whole winter of blooming. You can chop the stems and keep watering - provided they have enough light they will come back and bloom in winter too. The only thing I do not like abbout keeping them in the same pot - you will get way too many stems - and you really need may be 5 strong ones.
    The way how you treat it - would be appropriate for Smithiantha and Achimenes. They are seasonal bloomers and they need their rest. Kohlerias - you can make them bloom all the time.

I.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I dig up my achimenes and seemannia and store those over the winter too but I'll keep in mind that I can allow the kohleria to continue growing. I divide the rhizomes every other year. I put less then 5 in a pot. I usually keep the 3 biggest ones. BTW they are some of the ugliest rhizomes I've ever seen. They look like giant white grubs!

Can I cut it back? The stems are over 2'. It looks nice and full but it's taking up too much space.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Yes - you can cut it back, trim it, shape it the way you want - it will send new shoots from each node. Sometimes if its stems are flexible - you can try to wrap them up around the root ball and repot in a bigger pot with only tips showing.

I.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks I. The main stems are too rigid to wrap so I'll cut them. I might try rooting a couple. I got a new macro lens and took this close up of a bloom. I thought it was pretty cool looking.
    {{gwi:587625}}

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Karyn - ODD NUMBERS - 3 or 5 ;-)). Supposedly it is pleasing to an eye to have odd numbers of stems in a pot.

Cool pic, very kissable.

Irina

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor