Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sinningia Dormancy?

Posted by Perle_de_Or Zone 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 13:19

Could someone tell me if all Sinnnigias go dormant? And how can I tell if mine are going dormant, they all appear to be getting new leaves in December. This is my first year with them so I am still learning. I would appreciate any input. This may be a dumb question, but also, do Episcias go dormant? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sinningia Dormancy?

To answer your second question first (because it's the easier of the 2), Episcias do not go dormant. They are tropical plants and do not store needed nutrients in a tuber/scale. Once it's dead it's dead unfortunately. If you're having one dying back I'd check to make sure it's not getting below 55'F (12.7'C). To my knowledge this is the only thing that kills Episcias. Mine have been fairly tolerant of pests as long as they're enclosed in a high humidity dome.

Now about Sinningias, the answer is complex. If the Sinningia develops a tuber, it MAY go into dormancy. This holds true for many of the larger sinningias, however, it does not hold true for the minis and micros. If you notice the foliage getting very tired and worn-out looking, there's a good chance the tube is entering dormancy. Some sinningias will start putting up new growth when this happens, while others will want to take 1-3 months off from growing. If you have one that wants to take time off, I find removing it from it's pot, trimming away the roots, and lightly washing the tuber, then placing it in a ziplock bag with barely moistened peat moss, sealed, and then placed back in on the light stand (or window) works well. Some people have been known to leave them outside all winter, only to have them send up strong new growth and flowers in mid spring.

o
RE: Sinningia Dormancy?

Thank you so much, this is really helpful information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here