Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adequate Lighting for Streps

Posted by frankiokc AR (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 20, 06 at 13:46

I have a lot of problems with the foliage on my streps curling under and getting brown edges. As the new "baby" leaves start growing in, they tend to turn brown and mushy before they are even 1/2" long. I grow them under 4 fluorescent tubes with my African violets. Do you think my streps would be happier if they were grown next to the plant stands instead of directly under the light tubes?

Thanks!

Franki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adequate Lighting for Streps

Franki -

most possibly they are just way to wet. Pale yellow brown mushiness on young leaves can have 2 reasons - way too wet and wrong fertilizer. Looks like they hate urea - so be sure that your fertilizer is urea free. I use Dyna-grow, some people are swearing by other brands.

There was a very informative thread here a couple months ago about fertilizers.

To be sure that they are not too wet - cut your violet mix with 1/3 perlite, add some perlite on the bottom and do not use too thick of a wick.

I read that people prefer 4 tubes instead of 2 for streps and 2 instead of 4 for violets. For me baby streps do Ok under 2 tubes. IMHO more light - more bloom, less light - more leaves on streps, so if you grow them to show, 4 would be better.

Irina
Snowed up in Denver

o
RE: Adequate Lighting for Streps

Just for an experiment you could place your streps in window light. Being close to a window would also allow the coolness they prefer. You might discover they grow as well or better there.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here