Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suecirish

Something strange going on - Sinningia lineata

suecirish
14 years ago

So I seem to have eight very healthy seedlings of these S. lineata that I grew from seed. (See the link below to my original post.) They are now several months old and have grown vigorously over the summer. They have all been under plant grow lights except two that I potted up into AV pots about three months ago that are just to the side of a south-facing window. They all have lots of beautiful soft healthy leaves, BUT...

They have all turned into vines! The stems are strong but have remained thin, and there is nothing rosette-like about the way they are growing at all. The leaves have gotten very big as they have grown down the stem. The two that I have just recently checked have each begun to develop a nice healthy caudex, so that seems to be proceeding according to schedule. I'm not sure what I should do. I have enough of them that I can try a couple different options. For one of the plants in an AV pot, I pinched back the stem to about 4 inches long. It still looks very healthy, but the growth has slowed significantly to just one new pair of leaves in 3 months. But the stem hasn't thickened any, and there has not been any branching so far. I haven't taken it from the pot to see, but I would like to believe that the caudex is growing and getting stronger.

Is there anyone else who has grown these? There isn't much info on the web for this particular species. I'd be very interested in any info or suggestions. Here are some photos of how they look now...

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to previous post - growing from seed

Comments (7)

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Sue - looks like it is a full sun plant. So the best place for it would be the south window.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brazil Plants

• suecirish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Irina, that photo makes me feel a bit better, since that beautiful plant is not growing in rosettes either. One website I found said they were supposed to grow like an African Violet. Clearly not in that photo. I would still be interested in knowing if anyone else is growing this type of sinningia. Or am I all alone?

• lilypad22
    14 years ago

First I'll say I'm a novice at growing gesneriads. I don't have this sinningia, but most all my sinningias were growing like your pictures. A friend came to visit and i was showing her and she told me they needed to be closer to the light. It was too late for some...I will wait until they go dormant and then when they start to resprout I will move them much closer to the bulbs and lower them some as they grow. I had some smaller sinningias and also some mini sinningias that I started the tuber close to the light and it has made a big difference in the growth..stem is stalker and the leaves are closer together. I still have a lot to learn, but maybe this info can help you with yours. tish

• suecirish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info. I may try the same, after they go dormant and then resprout. On the other hand it's kind of hard to enjoy a plant if it's got it's head stuck in a light bulb all the time! I'll see what happens with these. At this point they have about as much direct light as I can possibly give them.

• dirtmonkey
    14 years ago

There's one other thing- immature growth on Sinningias will be like that no matter what, sometimes. S. lineata probably won't have mature, upright stems until their second full year at the earliest. S. leucotricha always does the same thing.

On the plus side, mature stems can be difficult or impossible to root, but the floppy immature growth is very easy to root and multiply your plants!

Vincent

• suecirish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vincent, thank you much for that information. It makes sense to me. From the reading I have been able to do, the S. lineata and S. leucotricha are similar. They are still growing strong at about 10 months. I'm just going to let them go, I think, and see what happens. Any other info or advice?

• mfyss
    14 years ago

Am growing two Sinningia, S. iarae is like the one seen in stores with a large caudex, strong upright stems, and flowering frequently.

The other is S. warningii which mirrors your S. lineata. The caudex is usually buried, stems weak, and has not yet flowered (about 5 years old and grown from seeds). They get lots of sun but it looks like they need more time to reach flowering stage. Yale

Here is a link that might be useful: S. warningii