Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumble_bee_gw

Sinningia Gabriel's Horn

bumble_bee
19 years ago

On November 18 I received a little sinningia 'Gabriel's Horn' by mail. It wasn't in good shape and I wondered if it would survive. It was broken and only the top part was good (I think the roots froze in the wet spagnum moss). The stem and leaves were nice and green, though. I first put it in water and then I planted it in a small pot and put the whole thing in a Ziploc bag under lights. It seemed to be doing well. Not long after that, tiny flower buds appeared. I couldn't believe how quickly that little thing recuperated! I put it under a glass jar and on Christmas morning I had my first bloom. What a nice plant!

Comments (11)

• bumble_bee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

down

• perennial_girl
    19 years ago

Did you take a picture? I would luv to see one.
    :) Donna

• bumble_bee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for your interest, Donna! I did take pictures. It's not a prize winning plant but I was glad it bloomed so quickly after I thought it wouldn't survive. More than 2 weeks later it's still in bloom, but these pictures were taken on Christmas morning.
    {{gwi:838606}}
    {{gwi:838608}}

• perennial_girl
    19 years ago

bumblebee, I can't see the pictures.
    :( Donna

• bumble_bee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sorry! Here's a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gabriel's Horn

• ooojen
    19 years ago

Oh, that's just adorable! Thanks for sharing the picture!

• maggie99
    19 years ago

Very nice, cute little plant!!

• Walter_Pickett
    19 years ago

It has been years since I had Sinningias. How big is Gabriel's Horn? Is this one of the tetraploids?

• larry_b
    19 years ago

Very nice sinningia and what a story.

Larry

• jon_d
    19 years ago

Walter,
    Is it one of the tetraploids??? I think so. It has the hose in hose form, which is also called a calyx double. That is inherited from the calyx double form of S. cardinalis, which, being a species, would not be a tetraploid. So, for that reason, I am not sure if it is a tetra. The mini sinns generally are tetraploids because the first breeding hybrids, Cindyella and Dollbaby, became breeding tetraploids from mutations. These two, originally (in the 60's) were sterile diploids.

There have been big advances over the years in sinningia breeding. We now have double mini sinns, and a wide variety of patterns and colors. Most of the breeding in the last 20 years has been made without breeding the new hybrids to come true from seed. So, the modern hybrids are grown from cuttings (by rooting crowns). We now have many more species in cultivation than were available in the 70's and a vast amount of potential has never been tried. Some of the newer small growing species include the true micro mini sp. 'Rio Das Pedras' and the dwarf kautskyi. Most of the other 60 plus species in cultivation are larger though. Personally, I like to breed with the larger species. What is true for sinnigias is also true for all the other genera of gesneriads--there are so many more species in cultivation today. To see the huge variety of gesneriads we are currently enjoying check out the photos on the Gesneriad Reference Web (close to 2000 photos, I think)

Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: GRW

• bumble_bee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you. I'll just add that Gabriel's Horn is about 4" wide and 2" high.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012