Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question from a strep newbe

Posted by RT_12589 none (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 20:03

I got some Strep seeds by mistake last winter- Weismore Hybrids. grew 3 nice plants now they are in 6" pots and doing great. Grew them under lights till about a month ago and brought them into my living room. In a south window beind a sheer curtain. I'm very impressed with them,I can see 1 from where I'm setting and can count 15+ blossums. My question is some of the flower stems grow leaves where the stem splits to 2 flower stems. should I let them grow or cut off the flower stems down low?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question from a strep newbe

I think what you observe is called a basket. New starter plant is growing on a bloom stalk out of usually dormant buds.

It is a good way to start a new plant-much faster than from a leaf. Wait until the basket plant develops 3-4 leaves, remove it and root in a soil under a baggie or similar mini-greenhouse arrangement.

Even if you do not want to have 2 plants of the same variety - the spare plant is good as a gift to a plant loving friend. The second use is - eventually to replace the old plant with a new one - their time of good bloom and active growth is limited - and in a year you would need to rejuvenate the original plant anyway. Usually you can cut suckers of on old plant and root them. Old tired plant can be discarded at that point.

Good luck and enjoy your streps. May be you will catch the strep bug and add more to your collection. streptocarpus-info.com has a fantastic gallery of of what is grown now.

i.

o

That is some great information, Irina. I am new to streps too, so thanks.

o

Thanks so much Irina
I'm going to start a couple from each plant for replacements. magnificent plants!!!!I counted the blooms on the plant I mentioned -21 blossoms and they are 3" across.
Ralph

o

Ralph =

you definitely have a strep thumb!

You need more of them. If you like large flowered ones - the guy in CO sells Polish streps on ebay. Enjoy the eye candy.

irina

Here is a link that might be useful: world of streps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here