Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gianteverything

Giant Sunflowers

gianteverything
16 years ago

hello everyone

I am new to this site and wanted to start a thread for giant sunflower photos. this is a few of mine. hope to meet some new sunflower growers

{{gwi:767340}}

{{gwi:767342}}

Comments (32)

• crazyseeds.com
    16 years ago

very nice...how tall and which variety of seed?

• gianteverything
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi well three years ago(05) I grew a few botts in a patch of "A.G's",paul bunyan's and sunzilla. all single.
    then in 06 I grew the tallest botts from 05 in a patch of Cravans and "tall Hopes". not knowing what was what at that point this year I grew from the three tallest of (06).but this year I grew a few ag's and Chinese tall singles to keep some sort of Hybrid going.
    who knows what will happen next year.
    I had a few big ones this year 17.2 ,17.5 and 17.8
    I just want to hit 20'. This year I found like five new types to try out but I don't know if I should when I am limited with space.
    I think this one (the house)is the 17.5
    the plant was cut when this picture was taken. I have a few more photos..

• gianteverything
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:839532}}

2006 after a bad storm. The one droopy head sunflower missing petals was Huge..

• glaswegian
    16 years ago

Nice....do you have any spare giant seeds?

• sasquash
    16 years ago

Howdy ya'll here are some of mine.

Here is Me and some giant sunflowers.
    [IMG]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/Ajiamarillo1/scan0012.jpg[/IMG]

Here's my tallest at 12.8 feet.
    [IMG]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/Ajiamarillo1/scan0011.jpg[/IMG]

From left to right. Mammoth,Skyscraper and American Gian Hyb.
    [IMG]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/Ajiamarillo1/scan0015.jpg[/IMG]

• sasquash
    16 years ago

Dang..... I chose the wrong format. Sorry.

Here we go agian.

Here's Me and some giant sunflowers.

Here's my tallest at 12.8 feet. It's a Giant Greystripe.

From left to right. Mammoth, Skyscraper, American Gian Hyb.

• gianteverything
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice!!!
    I gotta send you a few seeds from the T-3'S.

• trailerthrash
    16 years ago

What spacing is ideal for these giant sunflowers? I bought some seed to create a living wall between my backyard and the apartment building next door (it's a two-story building and the second floor balconies directly overlook our backyard). Also would they do better if i started them in peat pellets inside for a few weeks or should I just direct sow?

• gianteverything
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I Direct sow for tall plants . For larger heads I start early in cells. Taller plants I plant about 1 foot apart . For larger heads I give more space.Besides manure I wait to feed them until they are at least Three feet

• gardenman101
    16 years ago

Great pictures, I think that they have inspired me to grow some. Will have to see if I have seeds sold locally for them. Thanks for the pics.

• flora_freak
    15 years ago

Wow wicked pictures!
    This is my first year with a yard and I'm sort of new at all this. I've got a few things growing and decided I'd like to try sunflowers along my fence to add some privacy. I planted giant grey stripe seeds in a tray and 18 out of 20 came up...and I suspect a squirrel or something has been munching them since : ( Anyway I'm hoping that the 2nd set of leaves will continue to grow and I will get a few nice sunflowers out of it. I was wondering though when I plant them in the ground can I line them along the fence or do they need to be planted in a group to keep them standing up right or can I tie them to the fence? Any tips or info would be appreciated.

• tim45z10
    15 years ago

I planted the edible seed sunflower. Do I continue to water them after the flowers have developed?

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Brian in NJ.

Thanks for these seeds. As you can see in the pic below, the trellis against the wall is 8ft tall and the sunflower is already at around 6ft

{{gwi:535371}}

• mikebwdtx
    15 years ago

I have admired your sunflowers and vegetables in the gallery. I have an 8foot lattice fence which separates the back yard from the road. The strip is maybe 3 feet in depth. How large do these plants get in width? I think sunflowers would be great in the spot, though it is hot and sunny. Have any thoughts?

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Update....my sunflowers are now over 6ft and still going

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Update....Brian in NJ, thx again for the seeds. I am the guy in Canada that sent you the weird coin. LOL

{{gwi:535411}}

{{gwi:535414}}

• redfig
    15 years ago

Hi
    I love the photos of all your giant sunflowers they are stunning.
    It makes me really what to grow giant sunflowers next year on my allotment in the UK.
    Please could you advice me the best place to buy the seed and any tips on getting the ground to sow then.
    Thank you have a great week
    redfig

• janehad
    15 years ago

Hi!
    I loved these plant!

I want so much some seeds of *Giant Sunflowers*!
    It's possible?

I have many others seeds to change!

Thanks
    Bye

• genoprizebull
    15 years ago

NICE I grew some Bott strain sunflower last year and put the head in my barn,mice loved it!Gonna have to grow more giant stuff.This year I only have elephant garlic
    Gene

• summeronmymind
    15 years ago

I'm a tropicalesque plant person - big, bodacious plants with showy flowers and foliage out of storybooks. That's how sunflowers have caught my eye. I realize they aren't tropical, but they're just so humongous!! So, I've just started some sunzillas and some Van Goghs in little peat seed-starter pots, and I'm all ready for the last frost. I'm going to put them behind some palms and elephant ears! Can any of y'all experienced growers tell me if Miracle Gro will do OK on these sunflowers when I get them in the ground? Thanks!

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

A word of advice though, sunflowers do not like to be transplanted. You can still direct sow early in spring and get giants

• summeronmymind
    15 years ago

Thanks. I have some seedlings (sunzilla and van gogh) that I started in little plastic dessert cups. Just this weekend, one sunzilla came up and put a root through a drainage hole. I transplanted it to a small plastic pot, and I hope that doesn't upset it. Perhaps I need to get some more seeds for insurance, just in case my transplanting in a few weeks from now results in mass shock.

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

I transplanted some last year and the did ok, never got real big, but I'm direct sowing grey mammoth this year.

• val_id
    14 years ago

Thanks to all. My Mammoth grey stripe has never made it to a towering height like the pictures but one did reach 12 feet.
    Val

• rj_hythloday
    14 years ago

I planted Mammoth Grey, and Russian Mammoth this year. I'll be happy w/ 10' I'd be ecsatic for more.

• ErinBeth
    12 years ago

Wow!!! These are great pictures. I just started growing some Mammoth Sunflowers this spring. They're only a couple feet tall and still in pots (I live in an apartment). I don't know what I am gonna do with them once they get bigger!

• margaretmom
    12 years ago

Hi everyone...ErinBet, I started growing Mammoths also! They are hitting 6'-8', but I am having trouble with the only one that has gotten a flower. The darn thing is drooping no matter what I do. I keep giving it more water, but it seems to get worse. I've read that they need multiple lighter waterings over the day rather than the once a day soaking I give them. My sunflower looks so sad. Can anyone help? Oh, also, the packet said to plant them 8" apart which I did. I also just planted them directly into our soil on the front lawn...nothing special. I've heard of people using trenches and mounds, but I learned after I already planted. I can take a pic tonight. Thanks, Margaret

• pete092775
    12 years ago

what does the root system on a sunflower look like is it a tap root or more fiberious on top of surface. im thinking about trying for some tall ones and am wondering how deep i need to work my soil. i want to grow some monsters.

• dolzadell
    12 years ago

I want to grow sunflowers for seed for my bird feeders. The cost per pound in the stores are crazy high $$$$$
    I have a couple of questions if anyone can help. I planted some seeds I got from lowe's. They said they produce good seeds for eating. I started them indoors, let them get about 5 inches and transplanted outside along a chain link fence at about 12" apart.

Questions: Do I need to stake them? What do I feed them? How to I harvest the seeds, do I dry the seeds? if so how?

I know this is a lot of questions but I am so excited about growing them!!

• madseen
    7 years ago

Bonjour,

Je suis heureux de parler avec vous de tournesol géant.

A la maison, en France, je pense que le tournesol de plus de 14 pieds sont rares.

Mais le bilan français est de 16 pieds (4m88). Mon dossier est 14.76 (4m50) pied.

Je ne sais pas le nom de la meilleure variété que j'ai. Ce sont des graines qui me donnent comme ça dans un sac marqué "populations géantes de tournesol" J'ai aussi testé Botts, 99 Craven, Amazon, Sunzilla ...

Junecareyart: jolies graines de tournesol avec italie bravo!

• junecareyart
    7 years ago

I bought the seeds in Italy. I planted some in here in California in March 2016 and I was gone for one month on a trip. I told my son,

, The giant thing is not a weed, do not cut it down!

Sponsored