Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kossack Kohlrabi

Posted by rain1950 W. WA z8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 22, 06 at 11:11

Anyone ever try this variety? Supposed to grow to 8 - 10" without getting woody. And I do love kohlrabi!

Park Seed and others carry seed: http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=5779&PrevMainPage=advsearchresults&scChannel=Vegetables AS&SearchText=p16.v231;s1.Kohlrabi&OfferCode=S1H

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kossack Kohlrabi

Hi! BE SURE to try this one if you like kohlrabi. We have been growing them the past 4 or 5 years and won't go back to the little guys anymore. Here in Wisconsin, they have been great. They, of course, take a little more room, but are worth it. You just won't need as many. In fact, right now, I have "part of one" in the fridge that we are eating on, last one of the season. You can start using them much smaller but they will get large and still be good. (Was probably about 10" long and 6 or so across). They do not get as strong; have a sweeter, milder flavor. Rarely get woody like the little ones. Our garage is not heated, and does not freeze so we pull up the last ones before freezing, wash off mud but leave the roots intact and store in the cold garage. They may shrivel some but after cutting up and setting in water in fridge overnight, they are crisped right back up. We use ours raw as we don't care for them cooked and they are wonderful. Have fun and surprise your friends and neighbors with these giants. I think you'll be happy with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here