Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaindioux

Where to get giant pumpkin seeds?

vaindioux
16 years ago

Hi

Can anybody tell me a few GOOD sources to get some giant pumpkin seeds? It's for a family member (My uncle) he wants to grow some monster pumpkins like 500 to 600 lbs (Do they get that big I am not a veggie grower ?) but he can't find them in stores and he doesn't go on the internet.

So I want to surprise him with the seeds if possible.

Thanks in advance

Patrick

Comments (13)

• uncron1
    16 years ago

howarddill.com premium seeds

• booberry85
    16 years ago

I saw some recently at Lowes or Home Depot.

• vaindioux
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to both

Patrick

• bluelytes
    16 years ago

VAIN,
    I have some Dills Atlantic Giant seeds, wanna trade??

Regards;
    bluelytes

• sarahbarah27
    16 years ago

I got some from Park Seed this year, they are called Big Moon Pumpkins. I think they are suppose to only get to 150lbs, but thats still pretty big. I don't know what your uncle will do with a 600lb. pumpkin, make a house!? hahaha!!! Anyway, I'm not sure how they will turn out, cause this is my first year, but i have high expectations!

Good Luck! I hope you find some!
    Sarah

• akowaleski
    16 years ago

If you want to grow truly massive pumpkins (300lbs+) only Atlantic Giant will do. That said, there are a number of awesome lesser giants including

Prizewinner: can grow from 100-300 lbs, with a round shape and deep red-orange color
    Wyatt's Wonder-70-150 lbs, buttery orange color
    Big Moon-100-200 lbs, golden orange color
    Big Max-50-100 lbs, red orange color

All weights of course, assume good conditions and good care.

• douglas14
    16 years ago

The world record is 1689 lbs. currently.
    Seedoutlet.com is another seed source. Some nice giant genetics offered there, as well as at HowardDill.com.
    PandPseeds.com is another I've ordered from. I'd recommend any of those three. Check them all out, and decide for yourself.

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

How do the Atlantic Giants sold by the major seed companies compare to the Atlantic Giants directly from Howard Dill?

I'm sort of in a strange situation at the moment--the seeds I'm using (today!) are directly from Dill, but passed on through a guy who teaches (free) instructional seminars and who apparently gets them as a gift.

In case anyone is wondering, I don't know the weight of the parent pumpkin whose seeds Dill donated. It could be 100 lbs or 1400 lbs for all I know. All I can say is that I bought some of the major brand Atlantic Dill seeds before I realized I would be getting these from the source. I will be using the ones from Dill, at least this year.

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    15 years ago

Last year just for the fun of it I bought a package of Prizewinner Pumpkin seeds from Burpee. They say that the pumpkins can get up to 300 pounds, but I didn't expect them to get much bigger than a regular pumpkin. To my surprise we ended up with a 125 pound, 80 pound and four other smaller sized pumpkins. They just kept growing and growing and growing. I believe that they could have gotten even bigger if it wasn't for the powdery mildew. So this year it was one of the top things on my list of seeds to buy. I can't wait to see what we end up with this year.

The big pumpkin on the ground in the middle was our 125 pound pumpkin, and the one next to it on the right was one of the smaller ones.

The plants that produced the biggest pumpkins, I had started inside about 3 weeks before planting outside and the ones that produced the smaller pumpkins I had started directly outside. So, at least for my zone, I believe that if you want a real big pumpkin you have to start them early.

I have seen another variety that is suppose to get even bigger but I have not tried that one yet, though it is very tempting.

But anyhow, to answer your question I bought my seeds form my local garden center. I know you can also order them from seed catalogs or online.

• amigatec
    15 years ago

125 lbs is small I grew a 460 lber last year.
    {{gwi:839556}}

• kermamatthews_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Iwaslooking for some really big pumpkin seeds and Big watermelon seeds I bought some las year for big prices and none came up the regular sizes come up I have grand kids which are interested. I also train horses so I have alot of manure

• vtechad
    12 years ago

You can get seeds at http://seeds.denverpumpkins.com

Here is a link that might be useful: http://seeds.denverpumpkins.com

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

Newspaper articles say get seed at BigPumpkins.com: A Giant Pumpkin Growing Community but I cannot find any there. Perhaps one must become a member of the site.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus