Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
giant pumpkins and SVB

Posted by zackey GA 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 18:33

I want to try and grow giant pumpkins this year. Do they have a problem with squash vine borers? If so is there any way to prevent this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: giant pumpkins and SVB

Yes!
If you look at bigpumpkins.com there is a lot of talk about svb.

o
Are giant pumpkins edible?

I got a late crop going of giant pumpkins. i don't expect them to reach maximum weight. Will they be edible?

o
RE: giant pumpkins and SVB

Zackey, They are edible at any stage. I even like to fry the blossoms in cracker and egg and eat them with heinz 57 steak sauce. On another note we have planted them as late as July 1st and still hit 200lbs. Our fields are in a flood zone so some years we have very late starts. We are located in Indiana so depending where you are located it will effect the outcome. SVB's are little *&%$#'s. I start to spray two weeks after the vines start to run and continue until the 2nd week in August. Again, it works for my location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here