Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
daylight

Posted by elder 6VA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 06 at 23:35

Have noticed that many giant vegetables seem to come from more northern lattitudes, except in those cases where very warm temperatures are needed, many even from Alaska. Is it possible that length of daylight during summer days is a strong contributing factor to the growth of giants? Or have I misread the stats? And if this would be the case (and I mention this only because I guess that giant growers are somewhat of a wacky, dedicated group, especially the pumpkin people) why not extend daylight to 24 hrs with artificial means?.....Elder

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: daylight

Yes the daylenth does excelerate the process. Doesn't work for all plants. It causes some plants to run to seed. Cabbages love it. Lettuces tend to bolt. Everything has it's own internal time clock. 24 hours of daylight won't work for all plants. Later tohechito.

o

lettuce has and 8 hour clock and will bolt in 4 weeks from seed in the summer heat.

o

24 hour daylight( the white nights ) seems to work well for : the cabbage family (these are cold weather crops)( cabbage, cauliflower, rhutabagas ,broccoli,kale,collards,rape,turnips, mustard ) and strawberries . All grow large in Alaska ! Use artificial light if you want it is not practical on a large scale .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here