Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant my Dill's Atlantic Giant

Posted by Cactusrequiem Zone 8 SC (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 29, 05 at 23:35

Hello,
As I ask this question, Please be assured I have done my homework and I am ready to grow a Giant Pumpkin. My dilema, I want to break the current South Carolina record of 696 pounds. I don't think there is a South Carolina Pumpkin Festival (if anybody knows of one, PLEASE let me know) I would like to enter my "biggie" in the State Fair, (251 days from this posting) or at least enter it in my local fair (269 days from posting) How would I go about getting it weighed for the State Record? When should it get planted for the State Fair? I know they need 120-150 days for growing. Planting in the middle of May seems WAY too late! I would appreciate any help in this matter, If I could I would plant today, I know, only January and we WILL get more frosts. I should also add, I have a greenhouse and COULD plant today if it would help. Thank You in advance!
Darren

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant my Dill's Atlantic Giant

Darren,
I'd probably transplant the small pumpkin plant about 130- 140 days before the fair date. Is that a frost free time for you? Here, in a cooler climate(I'd guess), I planted out in mid May, and my pumpkin was picked in late Sept. It was a very cool summer. If you get real hot weather, your pumpkin may mature significanly faster, than mine did. I wouldn't want a pumpkin that matured a significant time before weighoff, as it may not keep well in the hot summer weather, and could loose water weight.
I'll send you an email soon, if it is accessable through this forum.

Douglas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here