Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkin Seed Picture/Questions

Posted by naturalstuff Z6 / CT (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 10, 06 at 15:38

I planted the seed on January 29, 2006. 12 days ago. I didn't see anything emerging. I haven't added any water because the soil has been soaking wet. I think it's cause the container holds the moisture.

So here I am thinking the seed rotted. I poke around lightly with a pencil and I'm amazed to see this big light green thing emerging from the seed.

This is a seed I just took out of a pumpkin last fall, so another reason I thought it wouldn't happen.

Was the seed to deep?
Will this be a healthy Pumpkin?
What temp does it need right now?
What else should I expect from this emergence?

Image hosting by Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkin Seed Picture/Questions

I'm not really the person to be answering since I don't Grow Pumpkins and I'm not familiar with Connecticut's Climate.

It seems early to me to be growing pumpkins. You probably just got snowfall as we did here. Of course, last frost dates are an average and there are methods of starting earlier by starting indoor and protecting plants once they are outside.

This Page gives information on seed planting depth, including a general rule of thumb for different seeds of 3 to 4 times the size of the seed (last paragraph).

I don't see a picture.

o

It's growing very well. But wont last. Yes, we got 20 inches of snow which all melted already but temp actually real feel is two degrees. I was just testing. New one will be planted next week too.

Can you see this picture?

o

Cool to see it growing. Take a look at it now. 1 More month for outside planting. Will it last?

o

I hope you are not seriously going to plant that plant outside. After two months it will be so root bound and stressed. We plant our seeds 7-10 days before they are to go out side in large pots and many have hit the bottom of the pot.
Shannon

o

Unbelievable how it took off after I put it in a bigger pot 3 days ago! IS THAT A FLOWER COMING OUT??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here