Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you lift giant pumpkins

Posted by Paul2101 z6 MD (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 05 at 18:31

I'm new to giant pumpkin growing. The only thing I'm afraid of is success :) I don't know how to move a giant pumpkin if I manage to grow one.

What are some good systems for lifting and moving giant pumpkins?

Should I place something under the pumpkin before it gets large - so there is something to grab onto when lifting?

I see pictures of pumpkins sitting in the field and I can't quite figure how anyone manages to get these things onto trucks and trailers without damaging them.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you lift giant pumpkins

paul i suggest you go to bigpumkins.com
and ask their. there are several methods for pumpkin lifting, pitures diagrams,products and blue prints.

Here is a link that might be useful: bigpumpkins.com

o

Generally they use a purpose-built "pumpkin tarp" with many (10+) built-in handles to move these babies. Another method I've seen used is when the pumpkin is still small (<50 pounds), people place a pallet under it and let it grow on the pallet. Of course, if you're going to weigh it later, you've got to get it off of the pallet :-)

o

Paul,
This is how we moved my 615 lber. last year:

After cutting the pumpkin from the vine, we rolled the pumpkin on its side, and tucked a tarp with handles under it. Then we rolled it the other way, and pulled the tarp under the other side. Then a number of us lifted it onto a pallet(covered with cardboard), using the tarp.
Our neighbor, who is a farmer, then used his skid loader(with forks) to lift the pallet and pumpkin onto our pickup bed. All this requires attention to safety.
Then off to the weighoff we went.

Douglas

o

Here's a picture of my Brother loading his onto the truck to take to the Windsor NS weigh off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/bloomorelse/Pumpkinintarp.jpg

o

in abscense of a skid loader or a tractor 10 or 12 guys 8 pizza's a five cases of beer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here