Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendyscritters

Sunflowers

WendysCritters
20 years ago

I would like to grow giant sunflowers. Two kinds, for height and for flower heads.

Can someone recommend varieties to try?

Do you know a seed source on where to get giant seeds?

Anyone have any secret growing tips?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• romy
    20 years ago

Hi there, I'm trying a new Sunflower this year by the name of Kong (as in King). They get 11' tall with numerous heads. Try a company called OSC Seeds Waterloo, Ontario
    N2J 3Z6. If that doesn't work I can mail you some.

• birdz_n_beez
    20 years ago

Well, for height, I would recommend Russian Mammoth (also a great seed plant). Without any special help they get to 9-12' tall. If you give them some good drinks (one with fish emulsion would have very good results), and a slow release fertilizer they REALLY grow.
    For seeds, I would suggest Israeli (stocky plant, but a 10-14" head with large edible seeds) or the Miriam Edible.

Hope this helped. =)

• tomato_dude
    20 years ago

mammoth grey stripe produce giant seed heads.i quit growing
    them because of squirrel problems.My biggest was 21in. in dia.
    and 11ft. tall ihave seen them over 24inches in dia.
    For giant heads feed heavy with phosphorous.
    For tall plants feed heavy with nitrogen. stake and give them
    at least a 3x3 sq.ft.space. one scource P&P seed co.
    good luck
    Ron

• WendysCritters
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you everyone -- this has been a great help.
    I love this new forum!

~Wendy

• rcrawford
    20 years ago

I plan on planting about 100 sunflowers in a long row,,, partly as a hedge. I have 4 varieties,, including the "Kong". How do I stake that many? How tall does the stakes need to be,,,, Will a 5' metal fence stake every 6 feet with wire stretched between work?

Thanks,,,, R

• leafbrain2003a
    20 years ago

"Canadian GIANT" got 14 feet tall with no fertilizer. I also grew "Velvet Queen", very pretty, I grew one with 82 heads, not giant, but an awesome effect.

• ladyaustin96
    20 years ago

I am growing sunflowers for the first time this year. I am using the Russian Mammoth...and the Skyscraper...They are growing inches everyday! I can't wait to look out my kitchen windows and see big beautiful flowers. My husband dislikes them...but he loves me..so big sunflowers it will be!! They are planted along the chain link fence that separates our two homes...and I had extra seedlings so I planted them (5) all together under the water spigot!!

• aka_peggy
    19 years ago

There's a type sold in the dollar stores, "mammoth" that I've been growing. It gets an easy 10' and costs a mere 10 cts per pack.

RCrawford, you don't need to stake sunflowers. It's very windy where I live and I've lost only 1 sunflower in 3 yrs of gardening here. That was on a day when we had severe wind gusts and only that one decided to fall.

• Frank_Blissett
    19 years ago

Kind of off topic, but anyone out there have expierence with cooking sunflower buds like artichokes? We're considering marketing some as such at a farm market.

• WendysCritters
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Frank,
    I've never heard of this.... do you do it when they are fresh new buds or after they have developed seeds? Sounds interesting.

~Wendy

• Frank_Blissett
    19 years ago

Wendy,

To be honest, I only just recently heard of it, so can't give you much info. It's my understanding that the immature heads are used (as with an artichhoke). I've only found two recipes online, and one of them seemed entirely too complicated. Here's the other (last on the page):
    http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/1424/Recipies.html

Beyond this, I've just found an occassional passing reference.

• Brian_NY_NJ_PA
    19 years ago

I grow giant sunflowers as a hobby. Check out the pictures on my web page. It has lots of information about the different giant varieties.

http://www.geocities.com/sunflower_info/

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:839675}}

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner