Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
giant watermelon contest for $25,000 to set New World Record

Posted by bigtomatotaste z 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 04 at 13:17

snapple beverages is sponsoring a $25,000 contest to break the current world record 262 lbs for watermelon set bill carson in 1990.
the contest being open to all 50 states with winner being
the biggest watermelon grow over current record by sept 30 2004.

Here is a link that might be useful: the link to the snapple what a watermelon challenge.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: giant watermelon contest for $25,000 to set New World Record

Cool, but I live in Canada. Just imagine eating such a big melon!

o

I checked out the info on the watermelon contest and just might try to grow a giant melon. They seem to take the southern heat so much better than pumpkins. And even if i can't beat the 262 pound mark, I think it would be fun to take a truly huge watermelon over to the local little league fields and share it with the kids. Giant melon , here I come.
Wayne

o

This is just the challenge for me! This will be loads of fun just to try. Can't wait to see what comes up, let's keep each other posted on our progress.
Jade;-)

o

Dang, I'd love to give it a shot. I held the State cucumber record in Florida for almost three years, and regularly grew melons well over 100 pounds. Here's one with my young'uns:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bigmelon

o

ron what is state cucumber record for florida

o

I don't know what it is now, to be honest. I tried calling a few years ago to see if I could get a copy of my certificate, since my 'evil ex' took it, and was told they had stopped keeping those records. If I lived in Florida that wuld definitely be genrating some 'political' action on my part to get them to start up again. I also don't remember the actual weight either, but the length was 21 3/4 inches long, and what really surprised Tom McCubbin (The Agricultural Extension Agent for Orange county at the time) Was the variety, a Burpees Burpless, #13. Not a small cucumber, but not one generally expected to grow to record type size. And it really was pretty tasty.

It was in 91 that we broke the old record. When I lost it, I got beat pretty good, if memory serves, like by about 10 ounces.

o

262 pounda iS A MIGHTY feat..i believe its possible that bob dwyer the melon man might do it...heh course i might as well...with some divine intervention

Here is a link that might be useful: melonman.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here