Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal11

What are the largest Competition Size tomatoes?

gardengal11
14 years ago

Does anyone know what the top largest tomatoes grown are? The competition size ones. The only one I know of are Big Zac tomato seeds. I would like to grow and compete some in our county and state fair this year. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (5)

• terrybull
    14 years ago

my biggest came from a celebrity. about the size of a football. it was probably an oddball

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

The record is still held by Burpee's Delicious. Big Zac may give more consistant big tomatoes. In general the large beefsteak types will win single fruit weight contests, but not beauty contests.

• greenhousin
    14 years ago

I've been competing for a few years now and my most consistent results have been coming from Big Zac seeds that were saved from previous competition winners.
    I have tried many different varieties over the years.
    Tomatoes which have produced over four pound tomatoes for me are:

Big Zac
    Church
    BelMonte

In 2008 I held the Ohio State Record with a 4.48 pound tomato which was grown off of the variety "Curch". In 2009 I broke that record with a 4.83 pound tomato which was grown off of the variety Big Zac which was a seed from the 5.58 Timm 08. Many competition Growers are now considering the 5.58 Timm one of the first "proven" tomato seeds, meaning that this seed has produced more record breaking fruit than any other known tomato seed. I believe the 5.58 Timm is an F4 Big Zac. My 2009 record was short lived as Nick Harp produced a tomato last year off of the same 5.58 Timm seed which weighed in at 7.18 pounds and is the fourth heaviest tomato ever recorded.

I hold a contest each year for the heaviest tomato at www.perrysgreenhouse.com, your welcome to join in if you'd like. There are prizes awarded to the winners of the contest, this year our first prize includes a copy of the book Growing Giant Tomatoes by Dr. Marvin Meisner, 5 seeds from the 4th largest tomato ever grown in the world, "the 7.18 N. Harp" a $20 gift certificate to our Sponsor, and the prize list is growing.
    I've given away all of the competition seeds I have for the season but I am sure you will find someone there that is willing to share. Our community is focused mainly on producing record breaking vegetables with lots of information to help you achieve your personal best.

Good Luck in your Endeavor!!!

Duane

• hardclay7a
    14 years ago

Other possibilities are Neves Azorean Red, Giant Belgium, and Burpee Porterhouse. I'm doing Big Zack, Supersteak and Mortgage lifter. Forget about Burpee delicious, the variety seems to have lost something. My Supersteaks are consistently two to three times larger than my delicious ever were. What ever you decide, do it quick. These all require a lengthy season. Don't give up if you don't get expected results the first year. Keep trying new techniques, methods, varieties, fertilizers, etc. This is my third year and I haven't seen a tomato over 5 Lbs. Yet.
    Good luck
    ~Ken~

• averycason
    6 years ago

Where can I buy seeds to grow the giant maters

Sponsored