tomato_dude
20 years ago

Anyone willing to share info on the giant variety they are

growing for the big one?

Ron

Comments (11)

• brugboi2003
    20 years ago

Delicious Red Tomatoes is the variety that holds the record at over 7 pounds! It is sold at www.giantsofthegarden.com

:~)
    John

• justmee
    20 years ago

Do you do something to the plants to get large tomatoes? Like pinch off all but the one bloom? I'm new to tomatoes.

• brugboi2003
    20 years ago

Once the fruit starts growing, yes, you do cut all of the rest of the maters off, until you pick that one, but, you can in fact have more then one fruit in each plant, maybe up to 3, or 4? Just water, and fertilize well, with mictonutriants.

John

• Booboo
    20 years ago

What kind of micronutrients/brand name do you use? Are you talking something like SuperThrive?

Thanks,
    Boo

• brugboi2003
    20 years ago

Kelp, or fish emulsion, I am using a kelp powder this spring. Stinks SOOO bad when you get it wet, but is SOOO good for plants!

You can get kelp and or fish emulsion at http://www.neptunesharvest.com/ This is what Bruce Whittier uses, the guy that grew the biggest pumpkin ever grown weighed. It is good for all kinds of plants, use it as a foliar spray once, or twice a week

John

• Booboo
    20 years ago

Thanks ... I already have some fish emulsion. Also I have Maxicrop which might be good also?

Boo

• bigtomatotaste
    20 years ago

the record is 7 lb 12 oz set 1986 by gordon graham of edmon
    Ok USA

• slc00
    19 years ago

I am growing Big Zac. Last year I had a tomato over 3 lbs and nearly as big as a dinner plate that came from a poor plant that was starved of light and water for 10 days as a seedling and still produced huge fruit without any special care. I started half of my plants from the same purchased seed and half from the harvested seed of my largest tomato last year. I used blossom spray and protected the flower from cross pollination so I am confident that the tomato produced last year was not hybrid. So far the plants from home grown seed are twice the size of the others. I am hoping to get a big one if summer ever gets here.

• slc00
    19 years ago

p.s. I also use neptune's harvest (great stuff!). There are tests that could not confirm Super Thrive's claims so I will not try it. I use granite dust mixed into my soil for minerals needed. Kelp in the neptune's harvest also takes care of minerals, vitamines, as well as enzymes that produce growth hormone to the plant roots. I also brew compost tea to add beneficial bacteria and fungi to the soil which attach to the roots and literaly push the nutrients into the plants.

• bigtomatotaste
    19 years ago

super thrive is mostly to help plants when transplanting them.

• slc00
    19 years ago

This is my giant from last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Big Zac Tomato nearly 4lbs