Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wow..so whats the best way to start growing big plants

Posted by Orchiddude +7b ALabama (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 04 at 22:05

I have not clue where to start but would like to try.

Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wow..so whats the best way to start growing big plants

Rob, please email me at Bb7551@aol.com

The things you need are :
Good seed
Good soil
Good fertilizer
Good LUCK! LOL
Oh, and sun is important. What kind of giant plants would you like to grow? Something for a small space long gourd, sunflowers, giant cabbage? Giant veggies just... get into you :)

To see some good growers of giant veggies, you can look at the Garden Giants 2 Bigger, and Better on HGTV this month. I saw it back in the fall, a great show, I taped it and watched it over and over and over and over again lol :~)

John

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV

o

Well, it depends on what big plants you want to grow. =)

Let us know, and maybe we can help.

o

oh my god.. =: i looked at that HTV thing and skimmed through it.. that's so insane having to use a quilt for your 983791827396lb pumpkin and vacuuming ur cabbage!! pretty much everything i've tried to grow has died. i killed the worm farm i had in the 6th grade, my succulents turned red and fell apart, all my ferns shrivelled up within about a week. i think the only thing that actually grew was a carrot that seeded by accident in the middle of our lawn lol @$%#^?*!! my god.. right now, having a pumpkin grow to 2lb would be a notable achievement. what do you have to do to like first off not kill everything you touch, and then make it grow to a completely insane size? =\!!!!

o

the secret is you need learn how to grow normal sized vegetables first. Once learn how to do that then you might be ready to learn how to grow giants, and not before.(aka you need learn to crawl before you learn to walk).

o

First, you trade your cow for some magic beans...

:-)~
LISA

o

Lisa...I traded my cow. THe magic beans are in the mail....I am so excited...Now I need another cow....LOL

o

Have a cow man! lol.

Sounds like you give your succulents too much sun and not enough water.

o

• Posted by SLC00 zone4 up MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 7, 04 at 13:04

Read and learn about how plants grow and the microscopic beings in the soil that make it possible. Start here and read every word! Because you can't grow true giants with miracle grow in sterile potting soil.

http://soils.usda.gov/sqi/soil_quality/soil_biology/soil_biology_primer.html

o
compost story

Please go to howtocompost.org/default.asp see success story
Walter family then click on read me. There you will see photos of our garden last year and our 6 ton compost pile we turn over with a farm front end loader.
e-mail me at leewalt@powerbank.net
ernie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here