Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Pumpkins!

Posted by pansyloverandgrower Zone 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 0:13

Okay, so my grandma got some giant pumpkin seeds from an organization or something and they are holding a giant pumpkin contest on whidbey island. I have a few questions:

1. Does growing pumpkins with sugar water in a bowl sucked in through a cotton string into the stem really help?
2. if so how does it help?
3. on the most pumpkin seed packets and websites, they say to plant about 3 seedlings together on a hill. why? wouldnt it be less space for them to grow? am i missing something?

Anything else i need to know to grow the biggest pumpkins i can? i dont know the name of the pumpkin variety yet, but will post when i know. Some of my family members are going to grow some pumpkins too and i want to prove that even though i am almost 13 i know what im doing!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Pumpkins!

pansyloverandgrower Hi, the contest you are speaking of is the "16th annual Whidbey Island Giant Pumpkin Contest". The seeds were donated by the Pacific northwest Giant pumpkin growers (PNWGPG). They also have seeds for sale at the Puyallup spring fair. The seeds that were given away for the Coupeville Harvest Fest at the Farmers Market.The seeds are 'Atlantic Giant'(AG) pumpkin seeds.

When planting pumpkin seeds, the seeds can be arranged in either hills or rows depending on the available garden space and the number of seeds being planted.For hill planting:
Create a mound of soil three feet in diameter with a shallow trench around it for collecting water.
Plant four to five seeds on each hill, spaced six to eight inches apart.
If planting multiple hills, each hill should be at least ten feet apart to give plants sufficient space.
For row planting:
Create an elevated row of dirt with small trenches on either side to collect water.
Plant two or three seeds every 18 inches along the row.
If planting multiple rows, each row should be at least six inches away from its neighbors.

I hope that helped ya out

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific northwest Giant pumpkin growers (PNWGPG)

o
RE: Giant Pumpkins!

If you want to learn a lot about giant pumpkin growing go here:http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Default.asp

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here