Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AG Pumpkin and Coffee Grounds question

Posted by Wayne_Perrier z9 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 04 at 1:44

My local Starbucks is giving away free used coffee grounds -- as much as I want. I picked up a 10 pound bag this evening. I remember as a kid that we used to compost coffee grounds and pretty much everything else. I'm in the process of preparing my soil for my two AG pumpkin plants. I've dug a 3x3x3 hole for each and will be filling with "soil" this weekend.

My question is whether I need to compost the coffee grounds or whether I can just mix them in with the soil now and let them naturally break down over the next several months, while my AG seedlings are developing their root systems. Or, should I keep the grounds separate and compost them separately and add them later as a side dressing ?

My current soil mix for the AG pumpkins is just some good planting soil and 1 year old composted horse manure. I'm still deciding what else to add to that mix (probably some peat moss, sand, and perhaps some mushroom compost. I have to reread Don Langevin's books for other supplements, like the stuff offered at Neptune's Harvest.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AG Pumpkin and Coffee Grounds question

Wayne,
You can add the coffee grounds straight to the soil.They will break down and the worms will love them.Neptune's Harvest fish and seaweed is a good choice.Foilar feed with those or something equal and you will improve your chances for a big one.

o

Thanks Pumpkin man. Will do. Any idea on what ratio of coffee grounds is OK ? I'm sure I can get 100 pounds or so. I was also thinking of buying some earthworms and "seeding" my pumpkin mounds during the soil prep stage this month. What do you think ?

o

trust me, they don't need to be seeded, I put coffee grounds out on the ground (not in) and two days later, they were there... :) John

o

There has been a lot of discussion about coffee grounds on bigpumpkins.com this winter.Go there and type in coffee grounds in the search box.Lots of good info.Like John said,the worms will find the grounds.

o

thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here