Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunflowers in full bloom but only 2.5 ft tall.

Posted by kingkongos Phoenix, AZ (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 2:27

I started some Russian Mammoth Sunflowers indoors at the end of January and they got quite stunted for various reasons. When I transplanted them in March they recovered quite well, or so I thought. Right now they're only 2.5 feet tall but have a completely opened flower about 5 inches in diameter. They don't have much foliage at all but the little they do have is a healthy green. They don't really look unhealthy, just more like a small sunflower. I've never grown sunflowers before so I have no idea what their progress should be. I'm assuming there is something wrong with these.

At the same time that I transplanted them in the middle of March, I also sowed some seeds and those are about 1 foot tall with big lush green leaves.

Basically, I'd like to know the general progress of a Mammoth sunflower and also what would have caused my transplants to bloom so small (other than being stunted indoors). How tall should they be after 30 days? 60 days? etc.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunflowers in full bloom but only 2.5 ft tall.

I was wondering the same thing. I did the same as you and the same happened!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here