Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistercross

HGTV Garden Giants

mistercross
18 years ago

Sorry to post this so late, but I just found out that HGTV will air "Garden Giants: Still Growing" today, April 24 at 5 PM Eastern. I've seen "Garden Giants" and "Garden Giants II" before, but according to the HGTV web site this is a third show. The first two were interesting. Among the guests, the Dills.

Comments (11)

• hydro4me
    18 years ago

I caught this episode and was amazed at the kohlrabi mutants. It was even more interesting to find an article in a magazine I have showing that the record breaker kohlrabi was grown hydro/aeroponically. How cool!

-Jason

• Brian_NY_NJ_PA
    18 years ago

Anything about sunflowers?

• mistercross
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry, no sunflowers. The third episode of Garden Giants featured:

Nova Scotia pumpkin regatta

Alaska kohlrabi competition

UC-Davis Conservatory stinky flower, Amorphophallus titanum

Tombstone, Arizona world's largest rosebush

Oregon giant green pumpkin competition

Hawaii jack fruit

Clinton, Iowa long gourd competition (only 2 entries)

• mistercross
    Original Author
    18 years ago

A footnote: the show did mention that the "stinky flower" was not a true flower, but an inflorescence, a collection of tiny flowers. In a long biggest leaf thread in the Botany Forum is a mention of Rafflesia arnoldia, "stinking corpse lily" the true largest flower.

Is it just a coincidence that the largest flowers stink to attract flies? Maybe flies are poor pollinators and need a big target?

• Maxpower
    18 years ago

my pumpkin from 2003 was on the first show.

• mistercross
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just noticed that the third episode Garden Giants: Still Growing will be repeated in one week, on Sunday October 30 at 5 PM Eastern / 4 Central on HGTV.

Last minute update: Also in the program schedule is the second episode Garden Giants: Bigger and Better on November 6 at the same time.

• therainfallsup
    18 years ago

I wonder if there will be a 4 th show in the series.

• tohechito
    18 years ago

The World Record Kohlarbi entered at the Alaska State Fair wasn't the only WR set that year at the fair. A new WR Cantaloupe and Turnip were also show. HGTV after posting a very profitable year was not willing to pay a small one time stipend for the growers time and efforts. So needless to say they made no mention of it. Not everyone is clamoring for his or her 5 minutes of fame. For some it is our business, growing plants. Like I say the rich just keep getting richer.

• therainfallsup
    18 years ago

tohechito didn't you make the show year before with your celery?

• tohechito
    18 years ago

Yes I did and it was great. The few minutes you saw on the show was the result of a whole day and a half of talking and filiming with them. Like I said they need to compensate for a growers time. They are a for profit group and do very well airing their HGTV show. I know I have to pay for it. I bet you they pay celebrity guest and host for their time. As a professional grower they need to pay us for our time. They can easily afford it. It just shows a total lack of respect and regard for what we do. Later Scott.

• mistercross
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is a list of the items covered in Garden Giants 2 (this show is dated 2004, but at least part of it was taped in 2003):

New Hampshire pumpkin growers (weigh-off at fair in Massachusetts)

Alaska State Fair record celery (63.3 pounds)

Rossville, Kansas tall corn competition (2003)

Colorado dairy farm with 400 varieties of Dahlias including giants

New York Botanical Garden blooming Century Plant

Hope, Arkansas watermelon grower

Amazonian water lilies in suburban back yard pond

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm