Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Male flower selection in Atlantic Giants

Posted by elkman1 5b Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 05 at 10:08

This will be my first year growing Atlantic Giants, and I have one question that I cannot seem to find the answer to anywhere. Should I be using a male flower from a different plant to pollinate the female, or should it come from the same plant? All of the seeds that I have are from the same company (seedman.com, JM110 Atlantic Giant) and I would imagine that they are from the same source pumpkin, so would using a male flower from one of these plants be any different from using one from the same plant?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Male flower selection in Atlantic Giants

• Posted by Revilo SoCal z22/24 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 29, 05 at 2:25

If you are simply trying to get a fruit set, it will not matter which pollen you use, as long as it's c. maxima. However, you may eventually want to control the genetics of the seeds produced. In this case, you would allow pollination only from a specific plant whose genes you want to pass on to the pumpkin's offspring.

Oliver

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here