Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to weight giant pumpkins?

Posted by veilchen 5b s. Maine (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 05 at 6:43

I'm proposing a giant pumpkin contest for our town's fall Pumpkin Fest. This contest will likely be on a much smaller scale than the county fairs, but hopefully we'll get some good-size pumpkins downtown for the kids to see.

What is generally used to weigh the pumpkins? Someone suggested borrowing "meat scale" from local grocery store.

I also posted in the veg. forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to weight giant pumpkins?

You are going to need sopmething larger than a meat scale. Something that can handle 500-1500lbs. A platform scale of some sort will be needed. We rent one from a certified scale company. A shipping scale or warehouse scale will be needed.

o

Do you have any local potato farms, with packaging warehouses? I worked at a local one for a couple of years, and they had scales that weighed over 2000 lbs. (used to weigh large totes).

Douglas

o

The city is going to contact local farms and see if they have something. I don't think we have a potato farm/packaging warehouse anywhere near here.

Rainydays, could you tell me approx. how much it costs to rent from the scale co.?

o

Get them to sponsor it for the free advertising :) A banner saying scales provided by.....

o

i did the same ting i few years ago for my town, i ended up having to supply my own scale, you can rent them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here