Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time growing pumpkins

Posted by TimDe z7NJ (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 04 at 11:32

My first question is how many pumpkins can I grow on one vine and get any real size. not really looking for giants but real nice size. Do I have to cut the plant back or how do I do this? my plants are just begining to flower and I would appreciate any help. Thank You all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time growing pumpkins

depend on variety you growing if it is not large variety don't expect any large ones. go to bigpumpkins.com and ask there.

o

This is my first time growing Pumpkins too. I have one "Funnyface" vine and 3 "Big Max" vines. On the funnyface, as soon as the flowers fall off, the little pumpkin turns yellow and rots from the tip inward. Any idea what might be causing this?

o

The female flowers (the ones with the little pumpkins under them) probably aren't getting pollinated. The bees aren't doing their job. If you want to, you can get up in the early morning, and pick some of the male flowers and rub the pollen from them onto the stigma of the female flowers. This has to occur for a pumpkin to develop.

Tim - be more specific, how big do you want your pumpkins to be, pound wise? This will determine which breed you plant. Atlantic Giants will get you the huge ones that set the world records.

o

I just planted some Jack-O'Lantern pumpkin seeds. I hope I didn't get them in the ground too late. I built two little mounds and planted 6 in one and 6 in another. I don't even know if I spaced them out far enough, but I will cut off some once they sprout. We really had no idea what we are doing? Hopefully they'll sprout. How can you tell what is a female and male flower? I'm doing this for my 19 month old son. He also stepped on the mound once we planted them so I hope all is well and they grow.

o

Hi kristie--

Pretty obvious which flowers are which. The males form first and are on long stems. The female flowers actually have a small, round fruit beneath the flower. It's very easy to see. Don't expect to see any female blossoms until the vine has begun to spread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here