Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigtomatotaste

What consitutes a giant vegetable.

bigtomatotaste
19 years ago

When talking giant vegetables, I think we should define

What a true giant vegetable are.

A vegetable should be considered giant if both of conditions in section A. below are met and at least one condition in section B is met.

A. primary conditions

1. The variety of flower (aka sunflowers) or vegetable in it none giant size should be edible to humans or in case gourds use for ornamental nature.

2. Giants can be defined as extreme fruit size in either weight/length/size or in some case of corn, tomatoes, or peppers extreme plants size.

3. Giants of said variety are substantially bigger then what is can be considering normal size for vegetables and plants (aka a 65ft tomato plant, 33 ft cornstalk) of this type.

B. Secondary conditions

1. A category has been listed past or present in Guinness Book of World Records in there fruit or vegetable sub category.

2. There is public contest where people compete for the biggest/ longest/heaviest of this vegetable type under reasonable measurement conditions.

Please tell me what you think of this definition.

Comments (5)

• tohechito
    18 years ago

For me it's not so much what the fruit or vegetable is but was it entered into a giant fruit & vegetable competition. Where certified judges and certified weights and measures are used. Not a one man show, it must be a competition. Also it must be a sound product not rotten or spoiled. It also needs to be put on public display for all to see and scrutinize. There should be as many checks and balances in place to keep over zealous growers honest. Believe me there are a few growers out there claiming world records they never held! Some spreading their propaganda over the net to sell their products. Just my 2 cents worth, Scott.

• sandbagger
    18 years ago

Guiness doesn't have to have anything to do with it.

• tohechito
    18 years ago

Never said Guinness did. Again it's not what you grow it's the fairness by which it is judged. The standard by which! When it comes to what should be considered a giant whatever, that's a no brainer. It's either the heaviest, tallest or longest or any other larger than standard you want to set. Later Scott.

• witsend22
    18 years ago

well I would say the standards you gave might need to be refined some but the general idea is good.

Tohechito hit upon the real thing to be monitored. There has to be a set standard that all are judged by. This would apply whether in private or public competition. Just like world fishing records. A private club member could in club comp catch a world record fish but it would still need to be weighed on certified scales and the measurements and all taken in accordance with a set prescribed standard in order to qualify.

Organizations such as the world pumpkin conference personel woul be great ones to initiate standards for pumpkins or even vegetables in general as standards for each variety/type should follow the same basic rules even if some are judged on weight vs length depending on the veggie.

As far as classifying any given variety as a giant, I would let any variety compete in its own category as someone out there will grow or attempt to grow the largest one just to get a record. This would mean records would come and go rapidly in the first few years with the veggies that are not normally called giants. Those more common "giants" that have established records would be more stable but still subject to be replaced as time genetics and growing techniques are adapted.

Can't wait until I get atlantic giant seeds in hand so I can go for it next year.

• tek4designs_yahoo_co_uk
    13 years ago

I found a parsnip in my allotment yesterday London and it is 14 inches long 5 inches wide and 5 inches in diameter, is this a giant vegetable

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource