Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
giant org?

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Tue, May 16, 06 at 20:53

Do any winning giant growers grow organically, I wonder?

It is probably quite difficult without loading up on insecticides especially, not to mention potent chem ferts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: giant org?

some do some don't it is matter of choice and hard find out since good giant growers do not tell all there secrets and sometimes none of them.

o

As far as Fertilizers go we are all organic. For insecticides and Fungicides we go with a prevention program. We use a systemic insecticide called merit. Then end the season with rotating fungicides every 10 days. You can do it organic. Although I do not understand why you would want to. The giant is for display only. We are organic on all our veggies.

o

You can use rock dust for giant vegetables and go 100% organic. Pests and diseases are usually the result of overfertilization (which can occur with compost too), lack of ground cover, or general lack of plant diversity in growing conditions. Pesticides can make things worse since they kill off the predatory insects that keep pests in check, and pests tend to come back faster than predators.

I agree with rainydays that giants are mainly just for show (although it's possible to grow tasty giants, they just aren't practical unless you want to feed a crowd) but I would never spread poisons in the environment I'm living and working in, especially not if any plants nearby are meant to be eaten.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here