Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturalstuff

Avocado Seed

naturalstuff
17 years ago

I was wondering if I'd be successful at growing an avocado plant/tree. I bought an avocado at the supermarket and was wondering what I need to do with the seed inside it.

I wouldn't even call it a seed, more like a big pit. lol

Comments (15)

• farmfreedom
    17 years ago

You can plant it as an indoor plant . a frost will kill it.the bigger the pot the bigger the plant will grow . plant it point up.

• naturalstuff
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. I googled it and found some good info. So you're saying I'd be successful at growing it indoors here in CT? Maybe I'll bring it out for the summer and bring it in for the winter?

• squarefooterg
    17 years ago

As for bearing fruit i think you may need a male and female tree.

• hardeng
    17 years ago

Naturalstuff,
    I live in Zone 9, but growing them is really easy!
    I doubt you'll be able to move it inside many years, but if you're innovative enough, maybe it will work. A heated ground covering to warm the soil, and a tree coverage system will be needed, but you'd probably be the only one on your block (or city, or state!) in CT to have one!
    At my old home we grew one to around 20 feet with very little care in +/- 10 years (I don't remember the exact number... I was a kid then).
    I just planted one from a GIANT avocado about 6-9 mo.'s ago. Transplanted it to a better spot about 3 mo's ago. Its now about 20" tall.

• hardeng
    17 years ago

This link may prove helpful to you; especially the Table 1 data for cold hardiness.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG213

• cramapple
    17 years ago

Actually, you only need the one tree. The same flower opens first as a male and then as a female. Different flowers will bloom on different days. That is, avocados are self pollinating. Also, if you grow an avocado from seed, you will most likely not get a fruit precisley like the one you bought in the store. Avocado varieties for production (and the ones you buy at the nursery as well) are typically grafted on root stock of a different variety that can withstand the disease, soil, and climactic pressures of the growing region. If you plant a seed from an avocado you got at the store, you will get a tree that combines the genetic traits of the root stock and the scion. But, don't count on getting a "super tree" with beautiful fruit and disease resistance. If it were that easy, they wouldn't have to graft anymore. More likely, it will be a slighty weaker tree due to genetic incompatabilities and the fruit may or may not be any good.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    17 years ago

Cramapple, you don't seem to understand genetics very well. you will get a plant that is partly like the branch that bore that particular fruit, but due to polination you will also get a mix of the genes of the polin that other trees near by produce, ifthe entire orchard is one specific tree that has been grafted over and over again then it will without a doubt be the same kind of avacado, but some of the traits may be lost because some of the Heterozygous genes (genes for which the tree bearing the fruit has two different alleals, that is to say two different flavors of the gene) will be lost by chance and certain proteins will be produced differently or nat at all, effecting the tree significantly, None of the genetic infromation from the rootstock can climb up into the tree that sits on it, the only way for it to get its genes into the fruit is for it to sucker, which I don't think happens often in avacados and I'll bet that any orchard would cut that sucker right away, Also even if they did not, the sheer number of flowers of the other avacado trees would probably reduce the chances that the rootstock sucker would get to polinate the fruit to about Zero.

• cramapple
    17 years ago

brendan of bonsai
    You're right. I didn't think the genetics through very well. It was one of those things about avocados that I'd heard early on from a professor and just sort of internalized it into my Rolodex of "things I know" and I never really went back to revisit it. (like me, he was not infallible. You, yourself may even be able to relate) After pondering it a bit I see that, of course the code contained in both the male and female gametes from the flower of a particuluar branch would contain the genetic material from only the scion. (and each flower does open first as female, close, and then re-open the next day as male--just in case my last statement sounded a tad sketchy) After all, those are the only cells that are splitting there, right? Sometimes we speak (or type) before we think. But I assure you, I have a fair understanding of genetics.
    But hey, thanks for your pleasant opening rebuke. I think I'll count you amongst my most beloved of pals.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    17 years ago

Oh I certainly know what you mean about having knowledge fail you, its sortof a different subject but just last week I was talking about tannins in aquarium water and I said that they are good because they remove Desolved orgainic compound, and desolved orgainic compounds are not your friend, tannins of course being desolved orgainic compounds. With regards to the flowers I'm glad you knew about the male female thing, I was always under the impresion that male and female plants were different and that you needed one of each, Wouldn't want the OP going on a wild goose chase, a few weeks ago I ran into a woman seeking femal rhubarb to acompany her male rhubarb, it was at her 5th nursery, and she could not be disuaded or convinced that hers would produce on its own, oh well.

• poolgirl2006
    17 years ago

While on a recent trip to Maui, Hawaii I found these HUGE avodados. I brought home a seed to plant and wondered if anyone had any information about these giant avocados.
    Thanks

• silver_butterfly
    16 years ago

*bump*?

I made tacos one time...took an avocado pit and split in half, as that's what my bf told me to do....and planted both in the same pot. Watered them religiously for a week and then literally forgot they were there for quite some time...

I now have two trees, and that was...hm...maybe 4 months ago. My trees have withstood some fairly cold conditions from what I read, but they didn't grow any weeds in the pot they were in and look immaculate.

Since they were getting so big, I put one in a separate pot.

Here's what's funny: they were different sizes at first, but Tiny caught up with Big, and now I can't hardly tell them apart. The one I removed looked to have grown from the 1/2 pit, and then as I was digging out the roots (God-willing, I didn't kill it or harm it), and found a second half of an avocado...but then I checked the other tree, and his half of the avocado is there tooooo.

So, I have at least three halves of avocado pits from one pit that was only split in two. The third "half" looked completely untouched and had not grown anything, but I thought it was a bit funny/odd.

My trees are almost 2 feet high, but so far as they look, they are not much thicker than a thick jalapeno plant.

It's amusing that despite the neglect, they grew very well. I water them once a week, and watered them today after their surgery. I'm interested to see the results ^_^
    Does anyone think this (having two instead of one tree) will help with the timings of pollinations in order to get more fruits in the future? ^_^

From what I was reading, it's 3-4 yrs before fruits show up. That's a correct time-frame, right?

Ok, thanks!

• apartmentfarmer
    13 years ago

I have planted a couple of the pits directly into a pot of dirt and have a healthy plant.
    I tried the water and tooth pick method but the water turned yuckie and had to change it many times but nothing happened. So its kind of fun just sticking them into pots of dirt and waiting to see if anything happens. You can just water very lightly to keep soil moist. I posted a bunch of photos of my plant on the link below ;) Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of photos of my avocado plant :)

• yan94
    12 years ago

Hello

I look for seeds avocado tree resisting the cold if you possess it to contact I.

Thank you for your help(assistant)

• yan56000
    11 years ago

Hello

To fascinate by avocado tree France I look for seeds avocado hardy I pay you expenses and services provided via eBay

Thank you for your help)

Yannick

• cathi
    10 years ago

I buy them from the grocery store all the time and plant them directly into potting soil and let mother nature do her thing. I've started 4 trees this way. They love the Texas heat. I had put a container under my rose bush last year, forgot about it and next thing I know I have a 3ft baby tree.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus